1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AT&T Uverse best own router setup

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by wes211, Oct 11, 2018.

1. wes211

wes211 New Around Here

I have recently got the gigapower gigabit service from AT&T. I have an Asus ac87u and I would like to get rid of the AT&T gateway. From what I have read it is impossible. I am curious what the best way to hook up your own router up. Do they use MAC address of the gateway to authenticate to the network? I have the 5268AC Gateway. My dream would be able to completely by pass the gateway not just IP pass through or DMZ.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. CaptainSTX

CaptainSTX Very Senior Member

While you are pursuing your dream just double NAT your AC87 behind the gateway. You will not notice any degradation of speeds. It will make certain activities slightly more difficult to setup on the AC87 and extremly difficult/impossible to run a VPN Server on it however running VPN clients is straight forward. No need to put the AC87 in the DMZ. If you want to use the WiFi on both devices just be sure they are on different channels.

CrystalLattice likes this.
  4. CrystalLattice

CrystalLattice Regular Contributor

5. sfx2000

sfx2000 Part of the Furniture

You are not going to... they use a certificate there.

Commonly asked question...

You can put your Router in the DMZ+ zone, and that's the preferred path - ATT doesn't muck around with that one so far...

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!