What's new

ATT Fiber - slow application responses

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NetworkPacketsUnlimited

New Around Here
Greetings everyone,

I recently switched from Xfinity service to ATT Fiber. I am getting the speeds that I am paying for so no issues there. The problem is I am noticing slower access to websites and some apps like YouTube TV now take longer to respond. Example is clicking on links. It will take maybe up to 10s or so for the page to load/respond. Youtube TV intermittently will take some time for a channel to load.
Prior to the new service, i was on xFinity. Absolutely no issues there with the service. The only network change thus far is the new ISP.

The ATT-provided modem is in passthrough mode. Model is BGW320-505

ATT modem is connected to my ASUS Router (XT8 Mesh).

I am receiving a public IP address. I noticed that my DNS settings on my router now point to the ATT-provided gateway (192.168.1.254). Is this normal? Why am I not being pointed to ATTs Public DNS servers?

Thinking the slow application response times are perhaps due to DNS,maybe. I changed my DNS settings on one of my client's machines to point to 8.8.8.8 and the results are the same, just slow access times. I click on links and it takes a while to load. Again, I want to stress, downloading/uploading is perfectly fine in terms of running speedtests. This is all being tested on wireless and wired clients.

Even traceroute is interesting as the ATT gateway shows up in the path. I am expecting similar to bridge mode with Xfinity that the next hop after my router is ATTs public network

tracert -d facebook.com

Tracing route to facebook.com [157.240.14.35]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.50.1

2 4 ms 3 ms 3 ms 192.168.1.254

3 4 ms 4 ms 4 ms 104.185.200.1

4 5 ms 4 ms 4 ms 107.212.168.184

This morning I was unable to log-into my company VPN. We use 2FA, so an additional DUO webpage would pup up requesting to send a code to my phone. The code comes through, I accept and under normal circumstances, the pop-up dialog goes away and Im signed in. For the past two days, the page would go to "Page cannot be displayed". The only way to resolve this was to restart Broandband services link within the ATT gateway server, which is a further indication that there is something not correct here with the service.

The Xfinity service is still LIVE in my house until the end of the month so as a test I switched over and everything is working normally. Sites and Apps respond right away.

Is there perhaps another setting on my ATT gateway that I should be setting?

Has anyone see a case like this before?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!