What's new

ATT Gigapower - Cabling, Switch, and AP Advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JBL11

New Around Here
Hello, first time poster.

I live in Durham, NC and will soon be having AT&T Gigapower installed (fiber laid this winter, just able to sign up this week). Expected install date is 07 August. My current setup is Time Warner standard (a pathetic 15/1) so I'm looking for some advice on changes needed to properly utilize my upcoming 1000/1000 connection. I will be going internet only (TV via antenna or streaming, phone via cell).

Key questions:
What router does AT&T supply with Gigapower? Dual band N, range, features, limitations, number of Gigabit ports? Am I fine using this as my control router or should I use it for initial internet only and buy a better router to connect all of my devices?

What inexpensive gigabit switch or hub can I use to connect multiple devices in a destination room that has a single RJ-45 (Cat-5e) jack, properly utilize the gigabit network (i.e. get 800 mbps+ real world throughput), and have unique IP address for each device assigned by the main AT&T router. I currently have but haven't speed tested the TP-LINK TL-SG108 8-Port 10/100/1000Mbps (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A121WN6/?tag=snbforums-20 will this work?

What type of cabling can I get the AT&T techs to run during installation? Will they run a Cat5e or better cable to a destination room through walls? I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount extra (e.g. $100) for this service.

What tricks do I need to do to use an old router as a secondary wi-fi access point to provide wireless coverage in my garage and patio?

Critical background information:
My house was built in 1999, I am the second owner, and I have lived there for one year. I expect to be in this house for at least the next five years, possibly longer. Current internet is Time Warner 15/1 and devices are served almost exclusively by 802.11N wireless (Apple Airport) that is located in the second floor office. This is insufficient for 1000/1000 use and wireless coverage outdoors or in the garage is poor. House is detached on a 1/4 acre plot and has little to no wireless competition from neighbors.

Almost all telecommunications wiring runs through a closet on the first floor underneath the stairwell. This is where I would like the AT&T router, modem, etc. to be located. Coax (Time Warner internet and the antennas) that I installed run through this room as well. I would prefer to wall mount all hardware if possible (cleaner and limited shelving in this closet).

House was built with Cat5e cabling ran to most rooms but this was terminated to RJ-11 and used only two pairs (i.e. wired for AT&T traditional phone service). Over the last year I have traced these wires to each room (they were not labeled) and re-terminated them to RJ-45 using Monoprice punch down jacks (both in closet and in destination). I have tested these using a laptop and the TP-Link switch above. They all show up in windows as 1Gbps connections but no additional testing has been completed.

Prior owner had AT&T phone. This was wired via a single Cat5e cable to a punch down panel in the closet noted above. It is from this panel that I have pulled almost all the destination lines and re-terminated to RJ-45. Will AT&T re-use this incoming Cat5e (it is currently dormant) or run new cable to this closet for Gigapower? This cable runs to a phone box behind the house, I believe the fiber box to be in front of the house (I live on a circle).

RJ-45 jacks now exist in the three bedrooms, the office (desktop PC), the turret, by the living room TV, and out in the garage (I ran new Cat5e through the crawlspace) and all terminate in the closet noted above. Critically I do NOT have an RJ-45 jack in the upstairs bedroom that I have converted to a theater room. I desperately want this room wired as it currently hosts a PS3, Xbox One, and I want to locate my home server/HTPC up there as well. Can I get AT&T to run a Cat5e cable from the control closet up to the closet in this room (Coax already runs between these two locations)? I have cable for this but don't think I could accomplish this run as it is through walls, the attic, and just generally a PITA. If I could get one RJ-45 up to this closet this is where the gigabit switch would go to provide a connection to the PS3, Xbox One, Server/HTPC, and any future devices.

My old router is a D-Link DIR-655. This is a 4 port gigabit router with 2.4 GHz 802.11N purchased around 2008. I plan to mount this router in the garage, connect the Cat5e cable I ran to it, and use it as a second access point/range extender. This would be to serve a TV I mounted in the garage (with Chromecast), outdoor stereo system, as well as phones and other devices used on the deck/patio. What do I need to do to make this a Wi-Fi extender only, keep IPs assigned by the main router, and make switching APs seamless for my devices? Is this an appropriate device for this purpose or do I need something new?

Below is the minimum functionality I am trying to achieve:
Gigabit internet speeds for my desktop PC in my office.

Gigabit internet speeds for the theater room devices Server/HTPC, Xbox One, PS3.

Gigabit LAN with very low latency between the server in the theater room and PC in my office. I run my PC skinny with only a 120GB SSD. The server has 8 hard drives in RAID arrays and holds almost all of my media files (RAW photos, videos, music, backups, etc.). I would also like to use the server to install some applications like games that take absurd amounts of disk space but want to maintain near local disk performance when running them from my desktop. In reverse I would also like to be able to use Steam local network streaming between the server and my desktop. This would use the powerful CPU/GPU on my desktop (currently quad core Ivy Bridge i5 and Geforce 660 GTX) to run the game but display it on my server (dual core Ivy Bridge Pentium and integrated intel GPU) and consequently projector/5.1 sound system. Will the extender switch to allow the server, Xbox, PS3 interfere with this badly as they are sharing one Cat5e cable (I don't expect them all to be used at speed simultaneously).

In house wi-fi for other devices (phones, iPad, laptops, smart TV, Chromecast). As long as these have decent signal strength and 50mbps+ that is sufficient.

Outdoor wi-fi for garage TV and other devices. Cat5e to extender and same 50mbps+ requirement.

I would like all of the server's media files to be available on wi-fi connected devices as well but they would be used for playback only and not editing so 50mbps is sufficient.

Nice to have live Gigabit ports in the three bedrooms, turret, and living room TV but as there are no plans for hardwired devices at these locations it is not critical that they be live wired at present (i.e. I'd prefer an 8-port switch in the closet but could live with a 4-port).

I may eventually set up remote access to my server but this is down the road (was avoided due to my current anemic 1mbps upstream connection). Whole house networked TV via HD Home Run or similar is also a consideration.

CAT 5E is fine for Gigabit Ethernet. All Gig switches can handle full wire speed on all ports. Limitation is usually on client end. NIC, host CPU and drivers are usually the limiting items. If you get 800 Mbps or so with large file (100MB+) transfers, you're doing good.

Add up the bandwidth requirements of the apps that will be in simultaneous use. If they total over 500 Mbps, you may occasionally be saturating a single Gigabit link. Keep in mind you have 1 Gbps bandwidth in EACH direction (uplink / downlink).

I don't know what the AT&T installer will do.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!