What's new

Attaching fans to AC68u. What tape/adhesive to use?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gabzprime

Occasional Visitor
I have an AC68u and I put two fans behind it to cool it off. I used a double-sided tape to attach the fan but it fell off after three days.

I saw some guys here before attaching fans to their routers, what tape/adhesive did you use to attach the fan?

I have an AC68u and I put two fans behind it to cool it off. I used a double-sided tape to attach the fan but it fell off after three days.

I saw some guys here before attaching fans to their routers, what tape/adhesive did you use to attach the fan?

I would go to your local hardware store and look for any available 3M mounting tape. There are many flavors.

OE

A laptop cooling pad is cleaner, less messy, just as effective, and infinitely reusable.

what tape/adhesive did you use to attach the fan

Look for Scotch Exterior mounting tape or Car Trim mounting tape. Don't glue the fans to the router. There is a smarter way. Get from a near Arts & Crafts store a bag of small magnets. Not very strong ones. You need 16 pcs - 8 groups of 2 magnets. Use the double sided tape on both ends. Got the idea already?

Lol... So using magnets to attach a fan to a router that needs double-sided tape to attach to that same router is better than just using double-sided tape for the fans directly. :D

Doesn't sound smarter to me. :)

Doesn't sound smarter to me. :)

You'll change your mind the moment you need to remove the fans to clean the dust accumulated underneath. Do you prefer to rip the fans off and replace the tape every single time? Or perhaps to blow the dust inside your router through the fans without removing them?

No, neither of those options. See post three above.

Although I do see the point of a fan (see the many other threads on the topic) you may want one......

I like hot glue for this sort of thing. Holds well and can be removed down the road (most of the time) :)

You guys are shooting with pea shooters. You need to go big or go home.

You're posting in a wrong thread. The right one for such equipment is here:

:)

I am not particularly worried about this temperature, but in the tradition of fixing something that isn't broken, does anyone have any comment on how loud these fans are? Also, is it better to use a wall adapter, rather than the USB port, since many of us already use the USB2 port for scripts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200806-162028_Home_Assistant.png
    Screenshot_20200806-162028_Home_Assistant.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 206
Much louder than if none are needed. :)

An external adaptor will put less stress on the router and its adaptor too (always a good thing).

Much louder than if none are needed. :)

An external adaptor will put less stress on the router and its adaptor too (always a good thing).

Thanks, that is what I figured, in both cases. :)

fans are quiet. I use the usb jack on my router since i do not use the usb for flash memory. I have had my fans installed for over a year and best improvement other than Rmerlin firmware. Router runs cooler and is more stable. Since fans install I have not had one freezeup and loss of radios. This is a great upgrade. Made a cooler for my RT-AX88u and that router runs much cooler and I do not have any stability or radio issues caused by heat. If you use the usb port, then use an adapter.

As advised, I bought a scotch extremely strong mounting tape and so far the router still sticks at the back of the router.

I bought an AC Infinity fan. At low it was able to cool my router CPU from 80ish to 60ish..

Sorry late to the game...

I didn't use tape. I used two rubber bands wrapping both fans to the router.

Specifically the blue ones from buying veggies.

One on the top edge of both fans and another on the bottom edge.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!