What's new

Authentication problem with one of XT8 mesh pair

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rajdude

Occasional Visitor
I bought these super expensive mesh system, hoping for next gen wi-fi 6 enhancements but all I have been doing since day one is troubleshooting
I am so tired of these units! Here is the latest problem which does not make any sense to me. Has anyone else experienced it?

Some client devices cannot connect to one of the two XT8 units I have here!
They show "Authentication problem" and then check password and try again. Both are Android devices.

Log says:

Dec 26 19:41:07 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(497): eth5: Auth 38:78:62:04:16:93, status: Successful (0)
Dec 26 19:41:07 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth5: Assoc 38:78:62:04:16:93, status: Successful (0)
Dec 26 19:41:13 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(461): eth5: Deauth_ind 38:78:62:04:16:93, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3)

ESS 3 means this " The access point went offline, deauthenticating the client. "
That does not make sense, the AP IS online, judging from all the other devices connected to it.

Here is the interesting part....the second XT8 does NOT have this problem....tested by going near it physically, the same devices get on wifi.. no issues

The only difference between the 2 units is the first problematic one is the main in the mesh, the second one is the mesh node.
Both are running exactly same firmware
Both have been recently factory reset, and database wiped out.

What the @#$@#$ is wrong with these?

PS: I have a ticket open with Asus for another, similar issue.... nothing happens other than responding from scripts

85 views and no replies...I guess I am the only one with this problem.
Have been troubleshooting this issue since morning....found out two things...

1. I disabled " Enable WMM No-Acknowledgement " on 5 GHz ....that made one of the cellphones (which was having trouble) finally connect to the router node. Still, there is one more, older tablet which is still unable to connect...testing further.

2. I noticed that adding the mesh node prevents that old tablet from connecting to the main XT8 unit.
If I walk up to the mesh node, tablet connects to the mesh node just fine. And after doing a factory reset and running the system with only one node, that same tablet connects to the main XT8 just fine. That means it is not a hardware problem.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!