What's new

Auto Reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

macster2075

Very Senior Member
Hi guys..
Can anyone confirm the following code would auto reboot my router every Sunday at 6am?

#!/bin/sh
cru a ScheduledReboot "0 6 * * 0 /sbin/reboot"

I found a site that explains on how to set it, so I created my own, but I am afraid to enter as I don't want to mess anything up haha!

Also, is there a script to clear or remove any entry for auto reboot?.
Thank you.

Hello new Merlin Guru,

Have you looked at the built-in Reboot Scheduler under the Administration tab? In general, if you're not doing anything too sexy or unique, it's better to use the built-in functionality. I don't think there's a problem with your cron job, but if you can manage it in the GUI, all the better for future maintenance and visibility.

If you go with your custom script, be sure your cru command ends up in /jffs/scripts/init-start.

Thank you Dave.. not sure what happened to your response...but I saw it in my email.. I missed the option in the gui!.. Yes, I agree, much better to handle in the gui :)

it was flagged for moderation. I'm just a spam-bot I guess.:p

it was flagged for moderation. I'm just a spam-bot I guess.:p
hehe,
by the way...
do you know if there is a way to limit bandwidth for the Guest network?
I have setup QoS, but I would like to limit the guest network at different speeds. I know I can limit each device at a time, but I would like to set them separately from my primary network.

hehe,
by the way...
do you know if there is a way to limit bandwidth for the Guest network?
I have setup QoS, but I would like to limit the guest network at different speeds. I know I can limit each device at a time, but I would like to set them separately from my primary network.
I appreciate your confidence, but the words you got from @ColinTaylor are gospel to me. Not to cloud your progress with Merlin, but I have happily switched between Merlin and John's fork (pinned post in Asuswrt-Merlin forum). Great alternative for older routers like the AC68U for a "set-it-and-forget-it" router. Although you give up Adaptive QoS.

Oh Ok...
I wasn't sure about that.. "John's fork?".. what is that?
Is that another firmware I would need to flash?, do they keep it up to date?
Also, does it matter if I have RT-AC68P instead of U?

See here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/fork-asuswrt-merlin-374-43-lts-releases-v37ea.18914/

It's harder to revert from Merlin to John's fork using the ASUS Restoration tool (I use the command line tools when I want to switch), but it'x a rock solid evolution of an older Merlin version, kept up-to-date with security updates and unique features such as DNS over TLS (via the Stubby/GetDNS project).

The 68P is supported. Don't worry about switching yet, but for those of us with older routers, it's a viable alternative with great support here in the forums.

Not the settings, but JFFS is usually fine.

You mentioned I would lose Adaptive QoS.. so that means that I can only limit the bandwidth of each device individually but not all at once?
meaning.. have the guest network at max of 10Mbps and the primary network at 25Mbps?

I didn't master the intricacies of Traditional QoS on John's fork before switching back to Merlin and Adaptive QoS. But John has fixed many of the shortcomings of traditional QoS, so you might be able to achieve what you want, but I'm not the one to advise you in that area. I run a rather flat home network without guest wifi or other device-specific requirements.

Hi guys..
Can anyone confirm the following code would auto reboot my router every Sunday at 6am?

#!/bin/sh
cru a ScheduledReboot "0 6 * * 0 /sbin/reboot"

I found a site that explains on how to set it, so I created my own, but I am afraid to enter as I don't want to mess anything up haha!

Also, is there a script to clear or remove any entry for auto reboot?.
Thank you.
I used the How-To article on the asuswrt-merlin Wiki page.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Scheduled-Reboot

Thanks.. user Dave pointed out that there is the option to set it up in the GUI.. which I had missed!
It has been reported a few times that the Scheduled reboot set in the GUI is not clean and often the USB drive is not unmounted correctly or at all. The GUI direct reboot button or CLI reboot is good. That is why I choose to set it up using the How-To so that my weekly reboot cleanly unmounts my USB with all the SNB add on scripts that I run.

Oh ok..
I dont use the USB functionality as I dont have any hard drives connected to it.

Would I be ok then?

Oh ok..
I dont use the USB functionality as I dont have any hard drives connected to it.

Would I be ok then?
Probably. Many of us use a USB stick with scripts like Diversion, Skynet, Stubby, Pixelserv-tls on the USB and it often gets corrupted using the GUI scheduled reboot. If you have no USB stick in use, it should be fine.

I had an issue with the router powering off when I had a scheduled reboot.
Happened either via GUI or cron.

You may want to look at this thread; https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ac86u-sometimes-powers-completely-off-during-reboot.48296
Yes, I've followed it from the start, and had the random "dead cat" issue at random when rebooting. :oops:
Still I get what all evidence points to as being out-of-memory errors with some script updates. especially Skynet, so I'm throwing another strand of spaghetti against the wall, hoping it sticks and does not just drop to the floor into the huge pile. :D

So, a bit confused.. is the issue with auto reboot happens whether I use the GUI of SSH script?