1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AV1200 poor speed?

Discussion in 'MoCA, HomePlug, HPNA' started by OBENZ, Dec 6, 2018 at 7:21 AM.

1. OBENZ

OBENZ New Around Here

I have bought 3 of these with 3gbit LAN ports due to laziness and other cnsiderations i dont want to redo all the wiring and have cat5 cables running around the house. When i bought these i thought i would get some significant speed gains but i'm not.
    I have my ISP fiber router hooked to the AV1200 with rj45 cable
    The second pair is hooked in the living room (6meters from the first one) which is then hooked to my router"s gbit port. So my router is hooked to the ISP modem through a AV1200. The AV1200 other 2 ports are used by My ps4 pro and my XBOX one X.
    The router other gbit ports are used by my RPI and my Android box MINIX U9 which is also gbit capable
    the third kit is in my bedroom and a RPI is hooked to it through the rj45 cable.

running IPERF across RPI, my android box or RPI and RPI in my bedroom gives very disapointing speeds.

50-70Mb/S :(
    is having other plugs connected to the kit's passthrough affecting the speed?or is the speed affacted by the number of utilities conencted to the home circuit?

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Powerline throughput is most affected by high frequency electrical noise. Small power adapters like USB chargers are usually the biggest cause.

Try unplugging anything like that that is either connected to the powerline adapter pass-through outlet or plugged into another outlet in the room(s).

3. OBENZ

OBENZ New Around Here

thanks, i'm waiting for my new router RT-AC86U to arrive and will redo all my configuration and test again.as far as i know i don't have any USB chargers connected by i do have a lot of devices and 2 smartplugs from TP LINk maybe i can remove those?

4. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Any small AC/DC adapter generates high frequency noise.