What's new

AV1200 poor speed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OBENZ

Regular Contributor
I have bought 3 of these with 3gbit LAN ports due to laziness and other cnsiderations i dont want to redo all the wiring and have cat5 cables running around the house. When i bought these i thought i would get some significant speed gains but i'm not.
I have my ISP fiber router hooked to the AV1200 with rj45 cable
The second pair is hooked in the living room (6meters from the first one) which is then hooked to my router"s gbit port. So my router is hooked to the ISP modem through a AV1200. The AV1200 other 2 ports are used by My ps4 pro and my XBOX one X.
The router other gbit ports are used by my RPI and my Android box MINIX U9 which is also gbit capable
the third kit is in my bedroom and a RPI is hooked to it through the rj45 cable.

running IPERF across RPI, my android box or RPI and RPI in my bedroom gives very disapointing speeds.

50-70Mb/S :(
is having other plugs connected to the kit's passthrough affecting the speed?or is the speed affacted by the number of utilities conencted to the home circuit?

Powerline throughput is most affected by high frequency electrical noise. Small power adapters like USB chargers are usually the biggest cause.

Try unplugging anything like that that is either connected to the powerline adapter pass-through outlet or plugged into another outlet in the room(s).

thanks, i'm waiting for my new router RT-AC86U to arrive and will redo all my configuration and test again.as far as i know i don't have any USB chargers connected by i do have a lot of devices and 2 smartplugs from TP LINk maybe i can remove those?

Any small AC/DC adapter generates high frequency noise.

I think that the speeds you're reporting are pretty typical for AV1200 adapters. I don't know if there is anything to be done about it.

Make sure the AV1200 are plugged directly into the wall and not into a power strip of even extension cord if possible.

running IPERF across RPI, my android box or RPI and RPI in my bedroom gives very disapointing speeds.

50-70Mb/S :(
is having other plugs connected to the kit's passthrough affecting the speed?or is the speed affacted by the number of utilities conencted to the home circuit?

HomePlug AV will lose a bit if one is hopping across different circuits - sometimes dramatically if one or more of the circuit breakers have Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) breakers (look at your power panel, they're labeled).

Check the main site - a couple of good articles to review, including the one linked below:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/bas...69-how-to-troubleshoot-your-powerline-network

Keep in mind that AV1200 represents the PHY rate, not the network rate - your numbers are a bit on the low side for HPAV2, but not excessively so...