What's new

Awful performance with AX200, great performance with macbook pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gryzounours

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I have an AX92u and a deskmini with AX200 nvme card and two antennas.
The deskmini is two rooms with thin walls apart from my router but the performance is really bad (39mbps/26mbps),

chrome_ZQxHiHxxvw.png

With my macbook pro at the exact same position as my deskmini (it's not even a wifi 6 device !), the performances are a lot better.

IMG_20200519_175014.jpg

I have the latest AX200 drivers, I had the same issues with my former AC66u.

Is the AX200 a bad wifi 6 nvme card ? I thought it was the best

What should I do ?

Thanks for helping !

Maybe the issue is with your router? I also have the AX200 fitted in my desktop and paired with a Netgear RAX200, I’m getting the full 2400 Mbps link rate - router and pc are on different floors. Real world throughput is between 1000-1500 Mbps.

Last edited:
What OS is the "deskmini" running?
What are the channel, bandwidth and AX settings on the AX92U?

The deskmini is running Windows 10 with the latest updates

Here are the settings :

Attachments

• chrome_kqGrYG9sS9.png
    chrome_kqGrYG9sS9.png
    325.4 KB · Views: 213
  • chrome_YMZPno9Bbk.png
    chrome_YMZPno9Bbk.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 198
Your speed with ax200 looks like that of 2.4 GHz band. Do you know what PHY are you connected to? Both speed look like having bottleneck outside of client wifi adapter though.

On the screenshot are some detailed infos:

I also checked on the connection properties, the protocol is wifi 6

Attachments

• wirelessconnectioninfo_XB1CnL3uVv.png
    wirelessconnectioninfo_XB1CnL3uVv.png
    56 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Your receive rate is very low compared to transmit.

First, just enable 5 GHz-1 radio and set it to Ch 36, 20/40/80 MHz (disable 160 MHz) and see what you get for throughput.

Then try the 5 GHz-2 AC radio, but set it to Ch149 and 80 MHz bandwidth.

Asus router should be able to show list of connected devices (at least I was able to see it when I had Ax11000).

I had 92U but it was in AiMesh mode but I assume it can show the same. You look like connected to second 5GHz band. 92U has only one 5GHz band that is Ax capable. So if you have it in AiMesh wirelessly it is used up for that and you don’t get wifi 6 speed.

Also, It shows Tx rate 1200 but Rx is abysmal 108 so that’s why you have low speed. How far are you from the router?

Test here would be go close to router. Secondly, can you have wired backhaul and use the other 5G band.

P.S.
You might want to delete the pic or shade BSSID just in case.

Last edited:
Your receive rate is very low compared to transmit.

First, just enable 5 GHz-1 radio and set it to Ch 36, 20/40/80 MHz (disable 160 MHz) and see what you get for throughput.

Then try the 5 GHz-2 AC radio, but set it to Ch149 and 80 MHz bandwidth.

Ok so I still get the crappy performances with 5Ghz-1 on channel 36
However I see some improvements on 5Ghz-2 on channel 128 (I cannot select 149 - maybe because I am in France and the allowed frequencies are different ??)

Attachments

• chrome_Jt8VNvJHTW.png
    chrome_Jt8VNvJHTW.png
    104.6 KB · Views: 178
  • chrome_Yf2lYFGbfv.png
    chrome_Yf2lYFGbfv.png
    202.5 KB · Views: 154
Maybe I’m paranoid but I thought bssid is WAP mac id so unique identifier. I thought many on internet hide those.
Yes it's a MAC address and therefore unique to that device. I've never understood why people feel they need to hide it. It's not like a public IP address which is accessible from the internet or might reveal information about your ISP. The only thing a MAC address really tells you is the manufacturer of the device, and we already know that's Asus.

Last edited:
After various tests on 5Ghz-2/80MHz on different channels, I get an average 70mbps/40mbps. It's better than what I had at the beginning but far behind my macbook pro. Any other idea guys ?

My guess is the problem comes from my client not the router since my macbook pro achieves an amazing speed.

Have you checked the antenna connections to the AX200. I always have a hell of a time getting those connections to be secure.

What is the signal strength seen by Ax200 i.e. RSSI and PHY? How about these values in close proximity to the Ax92U e.g. 5ft or so. Basically, I'd check physical link strength/speed and if it can reach full performance in close proximity but not at your testing spot with weak signal/PHY, then whatever reaching the antenna is weaker than the MacBook, which may be indeed antenna position or potential intrinsic limitation of the Ax200.

If even at full PHY, signal strength, your internet speed test is low while Mac is achieving much higher performance, it may be a totally different cause.

Last edited:
Have you checked the antenna connections to the AX200. I always have a hell of a time getting those connections to be secure.

You mean the MHF4 little connectors ? they seem to be connected perfectly, the connectors are so small I am a bit afraid to damage them.

@Tech Focus, I am gonna give a shot at close range and post down the numbers.

You mean the MHF4 little connectors ?
Yes. If you installed the card and attached the antennas, I'd double check them. After I *think* I have them attached, I always swivel the antenna lead to make sure it's *really* attached.

Yes it's a MAC address and therefore unique to that device. I've never understood why people feel they need to hide it.

Quite frankly, the main reason why I hide mine is so people don't flood me with "OMG your BSSID is showing!".

Nevermind the fact that anyone sitting in front of my apartment can see that BSSID with any wifi scanning tool as it's being broadcast.

I have the latest AX200 drivers

What is the actual version number of your installed driver?

Also, did you make any tweaks to the card setting on the Device Manager? If you did, revert them back to the default settings - those settings shouldn't require any change. Resist the urge to enable that "Throughput booster" setting for instance - keep that disabled.