What's new

AX-11000 2.4 Band Gone

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokie

Regular Contributor
Hey Everyone,

All my devices connected to my 2.4 band dropped offline today and after investigating it my 2.4 band no longer shows up. I checked everything and nothing has changed so there should be no reason it disappeared. Smart connect is disabled and I rebooted the router but its still gone. The dashboard shows my wireless state as all three bands so nothing looks wrong there and I am currently running on the latest firmware.

Anyone experienced something similar?

I don't think my 2.4 band is under stress, I have maybe 4 devices on it and there smart home lights and a printer. I rebooted it 15 mins ago and it still hasn't came back up yet.

I was checking the log file and don't really know what I am looking for but I did notice a load of logs with today date at the bottom and as I scroll up the date changes to the 5th of May for a load of lines then back to today's date for a load more lines and then again goes back to the 5th may

I don't think my 2.4 band is under stress, I have maybe 4 devices on it and there smart home lights and a printer. I rebooted it 15 mins ago and it still hasn't came back up yet.

I was checking the log file and don't really know what I am looking for but I did notice a load of logs with today date at the bottom and as I scroll up the date changes to the 5th of May for a load of lines then back to today's date for a load more lines and then again goes back to the 5th may

The old dates are from when the router reboots and uses an OEM date until it updates to current date and time via the Internet.

If your 2.4 band stays down (and even if it comes back), you could assume the firmware is not right, so re-install the firmware, reset, and configure from scratch. Otherwise, perhaps a hardware fault.

OE

I will try reset it later tonight when no one needs to be online. Can I restore a backup or will that just reproduce the problem? The firmware updated when I purchased the router about 2 weeks ago so i'm guessing if there was a problem there then I would of seen it straight away.

OK so I changed the channel from 11 to 6 and its now back online but does not appear to be very strong. Windows wifi only showing 1 bar. I did notice before when setting things up that the speed was very slow on the 2.4 channel, Sometimes web pages would not load.

Whats the official way to support for this router?

I will try reset it later tonight when no one needs to be online. Can I restore a backup or will that just reproduce the problem? The firmware updated when I purchased the router about 2 weeks ago so i'm guessing if there was a problem there then I would of seen it straight away.
Load latest firmware. Then hard reset. Configure it again, don't load a back up. Set the 2.4 channel manually to 6 with 40 Channel Bandwidth, Wireless Mode N only.

If it still isn't right after that complete clear out you should probably contact Asus support and send them some logs.

Set the 2.4 channel manually to 6 with 40 Channel Bandwidth, Wireless Mode N only.

Or 20 MHz bandwidth to spare your immediate neighbors some interference.

OE

Or 20 MHz bandwidth to spare your immediate neighbors some interference.

OE

Also improve your throughput, using 20 MHZ is highly recommended in 2.4 ghz. Even if set to 40, there are very high probability it will dynamically fall back to 20 when ever there is interference in extension channel, which is almost all the time.

Also improve your throughput, using 20 MHZ is highly recommended in 2.4 ghz. Even if set to 40, there are very high probability it will dynamically fall back to 20 when ever there is interference in extension channel, which is almost all the time.

I think I notice this when set to 20/40... the router never uses 40.

OE

I think I notice this when set to 20/40... the router never uses 40.

OE
I just like everything set to 11.
Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg

I reset last night and have it set to 20mhz. So far so good but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it disappears again.
There should be no reason why a channel change would bring it back online is there? Its either up or its not I would think. I'm hoping its not a faulty unit.

Something else I noticed since I have this router is that I cant play a 4k video without it stopping every 5 seconds.
When I had the AC5300 I tried to saturate it by running a 4k video on every single device I had and it was flawless! Sometimes I had 8 4k videos streaming simultaneous without even a hicup.

Right now I am on my laptop connected to the router at 702.0 mbps according to my wifi card and I cant even play one 4k video and I am the only real device pulling anything.

I have both my 5g bands set to 160mhz and speed tests on this laptop come back anything from 350-550mbps

Am I alone in thinking this router aint as good as it should be?

Something else I noticed since I have this router is that I cant play a 4k video without it stopping every 5 seconds.
When I had the AC5300 I tried to saturate it by running a 4k video on every single device I had and it was flawless! Sometimes I had 8 4k videos streaming simultaneous without even a hicup.

Right now I am on my laptop connected to the router at 702.0 mbps according to my wifi card and I cant even play one 4k video and I am the only real device pulling anything.

I have both my 5g bands set to 160mhz and speed tests on this laptop come back anything from 350-550mbps

Am I alone in thinking this router aint as good as it should be?
This router is good.

This router is also special.

Sometimes special and good don't exist at the same time.

It's possible to get the config really wrong, it's a bit unforgiving like that.

It's also possible that you've got corrupted settings left over from upgrading the firmware and not doing a full hard reset. There was a time when you could upgrade firmware on just about anything and not need to hard reset. Now it seems necessary on most kit more often than not.

I would also check the WiFi driver on the laptop and make sure it's the latest version. WiFi 6 seems to be pretty fussy about the quality of drivers used to attach to it.

I upgraded the firmware last night with the latest one even though it was already running the latest firmware. Done a factory reset straight after the upgrade and I have checked and upgraded the drivers.

I rebooted everything and plugged my laptop into one of the ethernet ports, Connected at 1 Gig and ran a speedtest, 500mbs I was hitting and that's what I have into my house. Checked another 4k video on youtube and stutters again.
Is there any other way to reliably test?

I upgraded the firmware last night with the latest one even though it was already running the latest firmware. Done a factory reset straight after the upgrade and I have checked and upgraded the drivers.
Where is the 4K video coming from? (apologies, re-read your post).

So YouTube stutters on WiFi but not on a wired connection on the same laptop?

Last edited:

BTW Google have been gradually killing Chrome for years, it's more likely the issue is with your browser than it is with your network connection. Same goes for most other browsers trying to use the updated Youtube interface, Google have nobbled them.

I reset last night and have it set to 20mhz. So far so good but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it disappears again.
There should be no reason why a channel change would bring it back online is there? Its either up or its not I would think. I'm hoping its not a faulty unit.

Interference from neighbor's SSIDs perhaps.

It stutters on WiFi and wired to the router. When I had the RT-AC5300 and I was trying to max it out under load I loaded a 4k video on every device I could over WiFi and there was never a issue. I'll try again tomorrow just incase it was something not related to my setup

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!