What's new

AX-58U vs AC-86U wifi connection speed on 2012 mac mini

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi folks,

I have been a happy user of a AC-86U with merlin for about 2 years. A couple of weeks ago the 2.4ghz wifi died on my 86U and so i bought a AX-58U (AX-3000).

I have installed merlin 384.19 with factory reset(s) and setup new with minimum config - just recommended tweaks to wifi. Everything is working really well and I think better and smoother than my AC-86U.

One issue is that with my 86U, the wifi connection to my mac mini (2 streams / n) was always 450mbps but with the AX-58U I am getting a 300mbps connection (2 streams / n / 40Mhz). Is this related to different wifi hardware between the 2 routers?

Don't think it will make too much real wold difference but keen to understand if there is anything I can do to increase the connection speed...

Thanks all

The AX58U is only a 2x4 router at 5 GHz and a 2x2 at 2.4 GHz. Use the 5 GHz band @80mhz if possible i connect at 866.7.

The AX58U is only a 2x4 router at 5 GHz and a 2x2 at 2.4 GHz. Use the 5 GHz band @80mhz if possible i connect at 866.7.
thanks. I don't think the 2012 mac mini wifi card is able to do 80mhz but i will see if I can get this to work

How was it possible to get a 450mbps connection with my old AC-86U? what is the maths/config?

I have solved this... Looks like the AX58U is only capable of 2 x 150 / n = 300mbps while the AC86U is able to do 3 x 150 / n = 450mbps.

spec sheets confirm this... AC86U - wifi spec.JPGAX58U - wifi spec.JPG

Yes, 3 antennae/streams vs. 2 antennae/streams for the RT-AX58U. :)