What's new

AX-86U and AC-68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

radomwalk101

New Around Here
Hello

I currently have AX-86U as main router and two AC-68U uscing as AiMesh node via Ethernet cable. All are on Merlin firmware.

Should I upgrade the two AC-68U nodes to AX-86U too or will it just be a waste? Any gain in upgrade? Thanks

Any gain in upgrade?

Don't upgrade to AC models. They won't be getting the new 388 code firmware. Expect few security upgrades only as best. AC86U router is perhaps the most unreliable Asus router with history of hardware and software issues. The closest AX equivalent with better expected support and reliability is AX86S. Look for deals around holidays if you really want to upgrade. Your current setup is good for about 500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client.

Look for deals around holidays if you really want to upgrade.
I saw quite a few good deals last night for Black Friday at CanadaComputers, so I expect similar deals to appear elsewhere as well on some Asus routers.

Don't upgrade to AC models. They won't be getting the new 388 code firmware. Expect few security upgrades only as best. AC86U router is perhaps the most unreliable Asus router with history of hardware and software issues. The closest AX equivalent with better expected support and reliability is AX86S. Look for deals around holidays if you really want to upgrade. Your current setup is good for about 500Mbps on Wi-Fi to common 2-stream AC client.

I think you misunderstood my question. Let me clarity....

Currently I have:
AX-86U (main router) + two AC-68 routers (using as nodes)

Question:

Should I upgrade the two AC-68 node routers to AX-86U routers too (making the whole house 3 AX-86U)? Will this upgrade cost >> benefits. [Not upgrade any router to AC]

Sorry, doing few things at the same time. You can upgrade to cheaper AX86S for nodes. It runs the same firmware as AX86U and has the same radios. Benefits - it depends on how many clients use AX and need speeds >400-500Mbps over Wi-Fi. If you have mainly mobile devices phones/tablets it won't make much of a difference. If you have PCs and want fast internal LAN to NAS, for example - you can have it faster with all AX routers and AX clients.

You'll have a chance for better roaming with all the same routers in AiMesh. There will be no preferred radio for the clients and they may switch more adequately to the strongest signal. Also, all AX86 series will get firmware updates at the same time - a chance for better compatibility.

Speed or bandwidth issues aside, using the AC68U as AiMesh nodes with the AX86U will limit the AX routers channels and encryption. If you do not need to use DFS channels, 160 MHZ and WPA3 the AC68U as nodes will work just fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!