What's new

AX-86U operating temperature...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is the one I printed, although I have Noctua on it :)

Annotation 2021-05-06 072606.png

Annotation 2021-05-06 072738.png

Annotation 2021-05-06 072810.png

Temps are a little better since running overnight :)

Annotation 2021-05-06 072906.png

I slightly modified mine to sit a little back and lower, will take a pic and post it later.

^ Nice job!

Thx guys! :)

Here is modified lower version on my actual router as promised..

20210507_031243.jpg
20210507_031256.jpg
20210507_031308.jpg

Can't beat the ugly brown of Noctua lol!!, but they are so good and quiet :)

Thx guys! :)

Here is modified lower version on my actual router as promised..

Can't beat the ugly brown of Noctua lol!!, but they are so good and quiet :)

Freaking sweet! ...and despite the brown color... from the photo it does look like the Noctua sort of color matches with the internal part of the antennas.

You are an official member of the Mod Squad. :cool:

1620359527676.png
1620360134713.png1620360322871.png

Last edited:
Nice work on active cooling. Ignore the ignorant forum users who continuously have to chime and say "those temperatures are normal" or believe a little dust is going degrade your router before high temperatures will. Below are the temperatures for my routers using a Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim.

RT-AC3100 37C - 45C - 51C
RT-AX88U 35C - 38C - 44C

If it was 20 years ago this may make sense as chips had a lower thermal limit back then.
Chips made today all have a lot higher thermal limit then those made 20 years ago but some people still think you need go by the limits of 20 years ago.
There are even chips now that can take up to 300 degrees Celsius.
All you are going to get out of this is a slightly higher electric bill.

Well, I can say, after three weeks, that my WAN drops have stopped. Now, I'm not saying this has anything to do with it?, but it's kinda funny how I've never had one instance since? Is the AX-88U overheating? Maybe?, but I have had not one WAN drop since adding cooling. Used to get them all the time, no matter the firmware, but all fine now :) I'm gonna open this sucker up next week and have a real good look at chips etc., see what I can do. Will post pics. :)

Last edited:
Well, I can say, after three weeks, that my WAN drops have stopped. Now, I'm not saying this has anything to do with it?, but it's kinda funny how I've never had one instance since? Is the AX-88U overheating? Maybe?, but I have had not one WAN drop since adding cooling. Used to get them all the time, no matter the firmware, but all fine now :) I'm gonna open this sucker up next week and have a real good look at chips etc., see what I can do. Will post pics. :)
Sounds nice.
Router cooling ftw haha ;)

Maybe you should take your comments over to another thread as you have an AX88U. This thread is for the AX86U which does not have heating issues. Its vertical design enhances convection cooling thus obviating the need for forced cooling.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!