What's new

ax-88 roaming assist

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

antonzippo

New Around Here
hello all,

can it be, that the roaming assisant by all of asus Routers isn't work. i have tried to switch the Value to -45db. my Smartphone still connected by -89db. the Merlin fw doesn't help. By change the rooms the switching to another Router doesn't Happen, only Manuel switch helps

You need to provide more details about your routers and configuration. Asus router running what firmware and configuration? What another router and what it does on your network? Separate router, access point, AiMesh node, same or different SSIDs, etc. Otherwise no one can answer your question.

i have 2 Asus RT-AX88 Routers and one RT-AX55 in the garage. All of they running in AP mode in no aimesh Mode. Both AX88 routers running with a latest merlin stable fw.
The ssid in 2.4 is same (asus2g)
5ghz ssid have same names. (asus5g)

The main router placed in the basement other AX88 on second floor. and the AX55 in garage. If i'm go to second floor or to garage my smartphone still connected with 5Ghz on router in basement. The signal (looked in asus list of clients) is less than -89Db, but the connection will not break and i need to switch manuelly to better wifi connection

Attachments

• wireless professional.png
    wireless professional.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 81
  • wireless-general.jpg
    wireless-general.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
You have a "sticky client" situation. I've observed the same behavior when testing AiMesh some time ago. It happens often with Apple devices, for example. They just hold the connection until it's still useable. If disconnected, they will connect to the same weak, but known working AP again. Consumer routers don't have tools to resolve it. It's client's decision where to connect. Controller based multi-AP Wi-Fi systems deal with this better, but at higher price.

Asuswrt Roaming Assistant is a hit and miss from my own experience. It somewhat works in some firmware versions and not at all in others. You have to experiment. There is 388 code base beta Asuswrt firmware for your router, for example. It's newer than what Asuswrt-Merlin is based on.

Last edited: