What's new

ax-88u slower wan speeds, what's to disable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jason Southwell

New Around Here
I have merlin on ax88u. I've noticed my wan speeds degraded but not sure which firmware upgrade it happened at. I must have something enabled I dont need or something disabled i shouldnt. Straight to the modem i get about 900MB down from isp while paying for 1.2g.
through the router i get 550MB best. I used to get 800-900 consistent through this router but I dont know when that stopped as i dont play with it a whole lot. Whats the best things to make sure is disabled with all these new features etc in the latest firmwares to check for?

Use Better Search at the top of the page and you could know this and more too. :)

it was the Parental Controls - Web & Apps Filters that was cutting my bandwidth in half. I have been using that as an easy way to block sites on my kids devices for probably 12yrs now and never noticed such a degrade in my bandwidth across the entire network up until now. In my mind it was (nope don't need to disable that, had full speeds with it before) kind of mentality. Guess its time to dive in to a better approach at safe searching for the kid devices.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!