What's new

AX XT8 USB Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tsrkus

New Around Here
Two questions here. First is easy. I have a hard drive connected to the USB port and I would like to know if I can plug a second drive into the second node or does the router only recognize one USB device?

Second is tougher and I think probably more of a Windows 10 issue. My network does not see the AX XT8 USB drive unless I enable SMB V1. Without SMB V1 the network sees the router but only as its primary IP address so if I double click or open the Asus icon the browser opens up. So the computer can see the router just not the USB drive unless SMB V1 is enabled.

For the uninitiated SMB V1 is considered a security risk and as a result most Windows updates will disable it. I also wonder if Windows 11 will simply remove it all together. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options on the router's USB application settings but maybe I've missed something.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I'd have to search, but there was a thread I remember seeing similar to this. Stock firmware uses older Samba3, whereas SMB2 needs at least Samba3.6 (as is in the Merlin builds). Someone stated they were able to install Samba4 via Entware and that worked. It required a script that would disable the built in Samba and start on boot. Users/shares cannot be managed via the GUI and must be managed via config files.

But the short and simple answer was already stated - Stock firmware is stuck with SMB1. If this is a security concern (and it definitely is) then consider a real NAS, or maybe a Merlin supported device.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!