What's new

AX11000 keeps resetting itself to original configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erick_e

Regular Contributor
Updated to the latest firmware (3.0.0.4.384.7979) about a month ago and have had random disconnects and radio broadcast issues. Last night I manually powered it off so I could get it back online, and when it powered up it was asking me to set it up like it was new (factory reset). I did so and when I went to change the router LAN IP address of the router it crashed and reset itself again. It did this about three or four times before I reverted back to 3.0.0.4.384.6436 just to get it operational. I haven't changed the LAN IP address under the older firmware yet.

Just curious to what would cause the issue of it resetting itself.

ssh into the router and enter
Code:
nvram erase
Then directly power off the router from main power outlet without issuing any further commands. Then set it up as new.

ssh into the router and enter
Code:
nvram erase
Then directly power off the router from main power outlet without issuing any further commands. Then set it up as new.

Thanks. I tried that but it didn't seem to work.

I've tried both a fresh install, and nvram erase on both 6436 and 7979 but every time the router is power cycled it reverts back to the factory settings.

Try flashing the firmware you want to use, do a full reset to the router including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox and then doing a quick/temp set up to re-flash the same firmware and doing another full reset as described above.

Now, as a test, use new, never before used SSIDs and passwords that are 8 alphanumeric characters for the SSID and 16 alphanumeric characters for the password that do not contain any spaces, punctuation, special characters or smiley faces.

Add the wired and wireless clients a few at a time and keep checking to see that all works as expected.

You may want to see the M&M Config and Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below for further details on getting your router, network and clients to a good/known state. :)

HTH.

Thanks. I tried that but it didn't seem to work.

I've tried both a fresh install, and nvram erase on both 6436 and 7979 but every time the router is power cycled it reverts back to the factory settings.
Clearly you need to ask for replacement or service.

Clearly you need to ask for replacement or service.

I tried an online RMA without luck. Will have to call support tomorrow.

I found this post with a very similar issue on an older RT-N66U, although he is using Merlin firmware.

Have to wonder if it has to do with me changing the LAN IP address after updating to the 7979 firmware.

I tried an online RMA without luck. Will have to call support tomorrow.

I found this post with a very similar issue on an older RT-N66U, although he is using Merlin firmware.

Have to wonder if it has to do with me changing the LAN IP address after updating to the 7979 firmware.
I always change the LAN ip address to 192.168.1.1 on my RT-AX88U after reset. Pretty dumb of Asus to default to 192.168.50.1. However that has never reset my router like yours. Maybe your router’s partition which stores nvram has become read-only for some reason. You can ask around if anyone knows ssh commands to fix it.

@erick_e, did you try the suggestions in post 4 above? ;)

It may just be a firmware that didn't 'take' properly. :)

@erick_e, did you try the suggestions in post 4 above? ;)

It may just be a firmware that didn't 'take' properly. :)

I did, except for the user name and password requirement of 8 alphanumeric characters for the SSID and 16 alphanumeric characters when I uploaded new firmware. I just used a different user name and password with a quick set up to initialize all settings, then nvram erase on both firmwares. It didn't matter what settings I changed, once power cycled it would restore to factory settings.

Sounds like a new router is a cure here. :)

This router you have here has corrupted filesystem or faulty NAND. You need to get it replaced under warranty.

I bought a new router as a temporary replacement while I requested the RMA repair from Asus (not an easy process using their website, but that's another issue).

Once I was ready to set everything up on the new router , I decided to try to reset the AX11000 one more time. This time not using the GUI or reset button, but by pressing the WPS button while powering on to hard reset, and it worked.

ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Not sure if it was user error, or an anomaly but it seems to be working fine now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!