AX3000 AiMesh stops routing traffic to iPhones only

  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

macfan

Occasional Visitor
I have three AX3000s distributed through my small business that is in an old building with lots of concrete/brick walls. All seems good, but at least once a day, several of the iPhones using the wifi will lose internet (I don't know if it's at the same time, the others have given up and disabled wifi). They still show full signal strength, but the internet doesn't work. If I turn wifi off and on again, it starts working fine. I move between zones frequently, so my theory is it's not handling the move between routers properly, but I don't really know this.

I'm running Merlin 384.19

I have tried:
- Changing channels on both radios
- Disabling 802.11ax/Wifi 6 Mode
- Disabling and then enabling WiFi Agile Multiband
- Setting Protected Management Frames to Capable
- Enabled roaming assistant under Professional tab (though I would guess that this doesn't apply to mesh)
- Tried "renew lease" from my phone wifi settings, only turning wifi off/on brought it back.
- Did site survey and some of the other tests offered, but nothing seemed unusual.

I'm at a loss.. should I try reinstalling the firmware? installing the beta of 386.1? Is there any other troubleshooting I can do from my phone? It doesn't seem to bother my laptop, but I don't carry it around the shop either.
 

KingBravery

Regular Contributor
Even disable private address in iphone wifi setting?
 

macfan

Occasional Visitor
Ok, so I disabled private address on both my phone and my watch yesterday. But late last night my iPhone stopped working while I was using it. I tried to disconnect and reconnect, but it said it was unable to connect to the network. I "forgot" the network and tried to join again and it would appear to join and disconnect repeatedly. I went to my computer and turned off Wifi6 again and it cleared the problem up, though I doubt it's related.

Tonight, both my laptop and phone lost connection at the same time. Interestingly, I was unable to access the router via its assigned IP address, though my computer had an IP and full strength connection. Even weirder, I could access the apple.com website, but other websites I tried, didn't work. I ran wireless diagnostics and it generated a giant set of reports. Then I tried turning Wifi off and on again on my laptop. It too went into this mode of connecting and disconnecting. I finally resorted to power cycling the router. I went ahead and updated all the routers to 386.1 so we'll see if that helps. It has new Mesh 2.0. I still have Wifi6 turned off.

When upgrading the firmware, I noticed that the router I added this past weekend was still on the factory 384.19 version. For some reason, I thought it because it had to restart to go into mesh mode, that the actual firmware didn't matter. Anyway, all three are on the same version now.
 

macfan

Occasional Visitor
Upgrading to 386.1 seems to have fixed my issues. I have not encountered any obvious bugs.
 

higgsiu

New Around Here
Upgrading to 386.1 seems to have fixed my issues. I have not encountered any obvious bugs.

I have had some weird wifi from node issues with my iPhone 12 Pro since upgrading to 386.1. I too have disabled private address.

Sometimes when my iphone is connected to a node I have certain apps that immediately crash on launch. Speedtest is one. I've found if I turn off wifi, load the app it works normally on LTE/5G. Then I can turn wifi back on connected to the same node and then run a speedtest just fine. It doesn't do it everytime, but when it does do it I'm connected to a node and turning off wifi fixes it every time.

I've not experienced any issues like this from my older iPad, just my iPhone 12 Pro. I'm thinking it might be from my AX and AC mix. But weird wifi still works, but certain apps immediately crash.
 

higgsiu

New Around Here
I have had some weird wifi from node issues with my iPhone 12 Pro since upgrading to 386.1. I too have disabled private address.

Sometimes when my iphone is connected to a node I have certain apps that immediately crash on launch. Speedtest is one. I've found if I turn off wifi, load the app it works normally on LTE/5G. Then I can turn wifi back on connected to the same node and then run a speedtest just fine. It doesn't do it everytime, but when it does do it I'm connected to a node and turning off wifi fixes it every time.

I've not experienced any issues like this from my older iPad, just my iPhone 12 Pro. I'm thinking it might be from my AX and AC mix. But weird wifi still works, but certain apps immediately crash.

Just following up on my own iPhone 12 Pro issue. I seemed to have solved it playing with Diversion block lists. I changed the Diversion block list from standard to small and the problem went away. I then changed back to the standard Diversion block list and the problem stayed away. So, something to do with rebuilding or reinitializing the Diversion block list fixed at least 3 apps from immediately crashing on launch on my iPhone 12 Pro after dirty upgrade from AsusWRT-Merlin 384.19 to AsusWRT-Merlin 386.1 .
 

Latest threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top