What's new

AX3000 dropping connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jryan15

New Around Here
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out. I've had an AX3000 since May. It seems every 2-3 weeks my router drops most of the connections in my house. This includes several direct wired LAN devices, wifi phone connections, but for some strange reason my Google Assistants stay connected to the internet. I've tried working with Asus tech support for several weeks, but still having issues.

When the connections are dropped, I can't access the router to download the system log. Ultimately I have to cycle power to the router to get connected, and this seems to erase all the system log entries except for what seems like the first day it was setup (like May 5th or something weird like that). As soon as the router reboots, all of my connections are restore with good speeds. Everything will work flawlessly until the next lost connection event.

Without the log file, I don't know how to troubleshoot the issue. Since it affects both wifi and LAN devices, a rules out wifi connection issues and since my google home stay connected, it seems to rule out modem issues.

I just don't know how to move forward. Asus has said to send the unit in for repair, but it really doesn't seem like a hardware problem to me. Any help or guidance would be great. Thanks!

The May 5th date is the default date the router has every time it boots up and before it corrects it via NTP. In normal operation you should be able to go back and forward past these "May 5th" entries and see "real" dates and times.

When I scroll down, it skips from 5/5 to right after it rebooted. I don't know how to tell what went wrong before I had to reboot.

router reboot.png

Hi, i saw a similar issue with an older RT-AC68U, think it was a memory leak. What version of firmware are you running?

I've updated it twice times in the last couple months. I'm sure there's another new release, but I'm getting tired of trying to keep up. The version that I'm on is 3.0.0.4.384_8563.

I've had to power cycle the router twice this week. I'm wondering if I should just send it in for a replacement. I didn't really want to since I know they will send me a used but certified replacement.

I've updated it twice times in the last couple months. I'm sure there's another new release, but I'm getting tired of trying to keep up. The version that I'm on is 3.0.0.4.384_8563.

I've had to power cycle the router twice this week. I'm wondering if I should just send it in for a replacement. I didn't really want to since I know they will send me a used but certified replacement.
Yeah it gets a bit frustrating. If you haven't already i would update to the latest and then do a factory reset. Then manually re-configure it from scratch, this shouldn't take too long. You could take a config backup too but i wouldn't recommend this.

I was trying to avoid this since I have several static IP's and also had to fight a bunch of dual band issues with the 2.4 and 5G networks. After the last power cycle, now my Honeywell thermostats have disconnected and now they won't even run the re-config procedure for wifi...

Maybe this would be as good a time as any to reset I guess.

Geez... I had last updated 7/1/2020 so I updated to 3.0.0.4.384.9505 from the Asus site (https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX58U/HelpDesk_BIOS/) using the manual update method. Internet is working on my devices, but now I can't connect to the router using the it's gateway "192.168.15.1". I've tried on a wifi laptop as well as my hardwired pc's.

I then used the alternate login method of "https://router.asus.com/". This lets me login using my old credentials, but that takes me to some "AI cloud" screen with 4 offline devices showing up in the left side panel. My router is not on the list, and I cannot figure out how to get into my router settings. Even the Asus app on my phone isn't working.

Not sure what to do, any help would be great :)

In all honesty i would do a factory reset after installing the latest firmware. I had to do this a few weeks ago after having issues with AiMesh. This fixed it and it has been working well ever since. Put a pin in the reset button on the back for about 10 secs and let it flatten itself. Then plug a PC into it and let it get a DHCP address. On the PC open a command window and type "ipconfig" and check what IP address it gives you for the default gateway. Then just try and browse to this. Re-configure from scratch, it might feel like a pain but i am pretty confident it will be worth it. Do you need a load of static IP addresses? What are you using them for, inbound NAT, port forwarding for gaming or something?

Thanks for the update. I think I was forced into a factory reset anyway. I've reset it and I'm running now for the most part. I'll post back later if the internet drops out again. Already I've got the "cannot connect to network" error on my laptop twice while re-configing stuff and had to power cycle, but hopefully those are one-shot problems for today.

Regarding my network, I need static ip's on a couple media pc's, 3d printer, laser printer, etc. Things that I log into remotely I've also setup static ip's. It ended up not too much of a problem to reset those. I have a couple devices that don't handle the 2.4/5G on the same network ID situation very well. Hopefully since I had set them up already, I won't have to go through the trouble to separate the two networks to get them connected again.

The last thing that I'm a little worried about is that my kids iPhones have had connection drop issues in the past. Hopefully they will be ok. If I recall, I had to disable the 802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!