What's new

AX56U 384.17 SSH LAN+WAN reverts to LAN only

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Torson

I created a dropbear key (private & public) to be able to SSH into a remote router.
On the remote AX56 under Administration -> System I changed the Enable SSH field to LAN + WAN pasted the public key in the respective field and applied the changes. The SSH login works one time only and then the LAN + WAN setting reverts back to LAN only.

Basically, if you change SSH to LAN + WAN, save setting and navigate away from that page upon coming back the setting is back to LAN only.

Anything that I may have missed in the process?

I created a dropbear key (private & public) to be able to SSH into a remote router.
On the remote AX56 under Administration -> System I changed the Enable SSH field to LAN + WAN pasted the public key in the respective field and applied the changes. The SSH login works one time only and then the LAN + WAN setting reverts back to LAN only.

Basically, if you change SSH to LAN + WAN, save setting and navigate away from that page upon coming back the setting is back to LAN only.

Anything that I may have missed in the process?
If you're using Skynet this is by design - see Secure Mode in Skynet

If you're using Skynet this is by design - see Secure Mode in Skynet
Thank you for the pointer.
Code:
firewall settings securemode  disable
did the trick.
I wasn't able to find though what else is being affected by the command in the WewbUI.

Thank you for the pointer.
Code:
firewall settings securemode  disable
did the trick.
I wasn't able to find though what else is being affected by the command in the WewbUI.
Not advisable to allow SSH and WAN access. General recommendation is to set up OpenVPN Server and connect to that, then use SSH over the tunnel.

That's what I have now - a VPN Client connected to the OpenVPN Server on the AX56. I can manage the router, ssh into it etc.
What I need is to be able to ssh and scp into the AX56 from the local ssh (through Putty) - all command line. It works well if I expose the WAN ssh on a different port.
Any suggestion?

You don't need (or want) to set ssh to LAN + WAN if you are connecting through the router's VPN server. LAN should be sufficient.

Any pointers on how to configure 2 way ssh through the OpenVPN tunnel between 2 asus merlin routers? From the command line that is...

There is nothing to configure. Once the OpenVPN tunnel is established, simply ssh in as if you were physically at that remote location.

There is nothing to configure. Once the OpenVPN tunnel is established, simply ssh in as if you were physically at that remote location.
Yes, and no - I use Putty to ssh directly into the remote router through OpenVPN - that works very well for quite a while now.

What I'm looking for is to be able to ssh into the local router and from that ssh session to the remote one

What I'm looking for is to be able to ssh into the local router and from that ssh session to the remote one
Is it necessary? Or is it because you want to scp between routers?

Open two ssh sessions and, done? :)

SCP between the routers, yes. It doesn't work for me with 2 independent ssh sessions.
I can ssh from the local ssh session into the remote one on the WAN interface with the generated key. Y'all saying it's not safe, so I'm trying to do that on the LAN interface.

What doesn't work exactly?

Are you using WinSCP?

WinSCP works well. However, I want to create a couple of cron jobs to transfer some files back-and-forth between the routers while maintaining their permissions.

And why can't you do that with WinSCP by itself then? I've done that in the past when I wanted to copy the same file to two routers (mine and a remote).

I do that all the time - copy the same file here and there.
What I'm trying to do is to copy some files from here to there and back based on scheduled jobs.

EDIT:
this works:
Code:
rsync -avzz -e 'ssh -p 22XXX -i /jffs/dropbear/msg2drb_db' asmin@d.d.n.s-ip:/mnt/asus/conf /mnt/asus/transf
This doesn't work:
Code:
rsync -avzz -e 'ssh -p 22XXX -i /jffs/dropbear/msg2drb_db' asmin@192.168.2.1:/mnt/asus/conf /mnt/asus/transf

Error:
Code:
ssh: Connection to asmin@192.168.2.1:22XXX exited: Connect failed: Connection timed out
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [Receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(226) [Receiver=3.1.3]
Each router has OpenVPN server and a client pointing to the other one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!