What's new

AX56U - as a mesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi all, I have a AX58u main router with another AX58u and a AC68u as nodes. All working well and running latest merlin f/w but I need one more node to replace a powerline adapter (for my son's PC that is wired only).

I was thinking of getting a AX56u to add as a node to my network. Thoughts on this unit please?

Or should I just get a wifi dongle/adapter for his PC?

Is his PC wired capable? If so, I would be looking for a used router that can do Media Bridge mode instead.

Media Bridge Mode

Hi, I have an ax56 as an imesh node (cable connected) running also merlin last version, with an AX88U as a main router. This setup has been running like that for a year and a half aready. Not a single problem with the node since, and very good performance, so highly recommended.

What is the problem with the powerline adapter that drives you to spend to replace it?

Thanks all for the comments/input. The issue with my powerline is throughput and stability. It's pathetic. The config app says the connection is 400-500mbps but I can only get about 80mbps actual throughput (file transfer - multiple test etc.). I have found that a node connected wireless with 'ok' connection performs better than when connected to a powerline adapter.

My son's PC works fine using powerline but i'm not very impressed so planning to go fully wireless using either a cheap asus router or using a usb wifi dongle on his pc.

I am going to do a little more testing using brand new cat8 cables so will see if this helps before working through next steps.

What will the CAT-8 do for your typical power line? All you need is CAT-5 Jumpers. It seems like you are fixing a problem your son dose not have. Go for a USB dongle and have a USB extension ready incase the case blocks the signal.

Thanks Morris. I know CAT8 is overkill but I am using old cat5 cables at the moment (also on my NAS) so thought i'd get a few new/good cables to eliminate the cables from the troubleshooting.

will report back on my testing using

test 1 - good cables / powerline
test 2 - brand new 5ghz wifi usb dongle with good reviews

You can get pcie wifi cards for fairly cheap that work really well. I never liked USB wifi dongles because the bandwidth available is usually shared among most of the USB ports .

You can get pcie wifi cards for fairly cheap that work really well. I never liked USB wifi dongles because the bandwidth available is usually shared among most of the USB ports .
Thanks Eric. Will try the USB dongle first as already shipped. I was thinking about pcie card so that's helpful if I am not happy with USB. Computer is using almost all the USB ports (x6) so could be an issue for sure...