What's new

Solved AX56U - Slow internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argh123

Occasional Visitor
I recently got 900Mb Fibre. It was fine when I got the broadband and few weeks later. Yesterday I noticed speedtest.net is showing 300Mb.

Connection: ISP Modem > ISP Router > AX56U > Desktop. All have Cat6 cables.

I connected the Desktop to ISP Router and speedtest was 900Mb (bypassing ASUS). I did this test with all the network cables I am using in the above setup and they are all fine.

I noticed that the Internet Speed on the ASUS gives me the speed it should be.
1670713651744.png

I am on the latest firmware. I saw a thread saying to disable and withdraw the privacy which I had done previously. I also tried disabling the STP. I am thinking I enabled something which is causing the issue but I can't seem to think what it could be.

I am aware the next option would be to do a factory reset however I want to avoid this as I have setup scripts etc.

I did a factory reset and the speed is now 900Mb. I restored the settings and it's back down to 300Mb.

I figured out it is the Wireguard VPN Client.

When I stopped WireGuard client the speed jump to 900Mb. I know the VPN is not being applied since speedtest.net shows my ISP IP and not my VPN IP.

I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this on the latest firmware.

I wonder if anyone else can reproduce this on the latest firmware.

Many.

Incompatible with NAT acceleration.

Many.

Incompatible with NAT acceleration.
I only have the VPN Server and Client enabled, the desktop is not using it. I understand it will slow the speed if I was using the VPN. I turned off the VPN Client and have the VPN Server enabled and same issue.

Yes, WireGuard is incompatible with NAT acceleration. Turn it off to restore the WAN-LAN speed. You have to choose what do you want.

Yes, there are other firmware options incompatible with NAT acceleration. It may not be enabled automatically when you disable incompatible option. Reboot your router and try again. Overtime you'll learn what impacts WAN-LAN performance on your hardware and what you need to do to restore it.

Thank you. I have rebooted and same issue. I will enable NAT acceleration and go back to OpenVPN Server. I am very surprised just enabling Wireguard VPN Server impacts the speed this much.
I may get it to work from ISP router to Asus LAN port but prefer not to. I am guessing doing this will resolve the issue.

Testing connection from ISP Router LAN to Asus Router LAN (instead of WAN) and see if that will work.

I'm having this exact same problem on BT 900. It only does it with SurfShark VPN. When Wireguard VPN is switched on, on my Asus RT-AX82U even though no clients are connected it gives me no more that 320mb speed Via SurfShark VPN but when not using the SurfShark Wireguard protocol it's around it's normal speed of 890-930mb. If I use the free version of Proton VPN via Netherlands server I get around 800mb which is really strange so it seems to be only SurfShark I'm having the problem with.

I wanted the Wireguard on the Asus as a backup as I use PiVPN on a Raspberry Pi but liked the idea of having Asus Wireguard for a fail over. I guess that's not gonna happen unless I stay capped at around 300mb when using SurfShark at home on any of my devices. I could always switch on Asus Wireguard when going away and then back off when I'm home but seems a bit of a hassle to be honest.

It's a pity Asus won't do anything about this :(

Last edited:
It's a pity Asus won't do anything about this :(

Asus IS doing something about this.

Asus IS doing something about this.

Happy days:):cool: But is that just for Merlin firmware as I can't use that on my router, only the branch off Merlin, the Gnuton's build?

But is that just for Merlin firmware

Have some patience. The eventual improvement is coming from Asus.

I can't use that on my router

You can, but again - have some patience. The new 388 firmware is work in progress.

@GNUton supports additional Asus router models with @RMerlin cooperation. This is an official Asuswrt-Merlin fork.

Last edited:
Oh I have loads of patience, as stated I use PiVPN anyway, although the latest version of GNUton doesn't have Wireguard as I already installed it and wasn't available, hopefully in the next one :)

WireGuard in GUI is available starting from 388 firmware. On 386 firmware you have to use custom script.

WireGuard in GUI is available starting from 388 firmware. On 386 firmware you have to use custom script.
Ahhh, that explains it, I wasn’t using the beta. Oh well, I’ll hang back and wait, my PiVPN has never let me down but still always good to have a backup just in case, especially when travelling :)

You have Instant Guard available for travel purposes. It's very easy to setup and fast enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.