What's new

AX56U USB3 Transfer Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

robcollins29

New Around Here
Here's some info on the AX56U's USB3 transfer speeds. Sadly Revision 11 of SNB's Router Charts no longer measures this info.

Last night I bought an ASUS RT-AX56U wireless router, primarily because my Netgear R6400(v1) had crappy USB3 transfer speeds of around 30MB/s.

My testing shows that the AX56U fares much better: ~100MB/s reads and ~60MB/s writes.

Testing setup: I'm using a Samsung T7 external NVMe SSD, capable of sequential reads and writes of around 1,000MB/s. The drive is configured with GPT and an NTFS volume. I'm copying large video files to/from a Windows 11 PC, using a SMB (Samba) network share I created on the AX56U. The PC and the router are connected by 1Gb Ethernet.

The read speed is fantastic, pretty much saturating the 1Gb Ethernet link. But I'm honestly a bit disappointed by the write speeds. I'd been hoping for more thanks to the 1.5GHz quad-core CPU in the AX56U.

Still, for an £80 router, I really can't complain. It's a big upgrade from my old R6400.

That did help a little, thanks. Now getting 110MB/s read and 65MB/s write with the UPnP server off. Still a little on the low side, but I won't lose sleep over it. The other day I put Merlin on there too, which may have helped.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!