What's new

AX58U disconnects and weird logs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wasthe58Uabadidea

New Around Here
Hello. I just bought this AX58U renewed and set it up a few days ago. Speed as been great, however the router/wifi keeps disconnecting randomly a few times a day, and comes right back on within 30 seconds usually, but sometimes minutes.

I attached the logs here, it just happened on 17:12 today, but a few times before. I am assuming every time the logs go back to May.

I am very new to networking, and I even tried to search and have chatgpt decipher the logs but couldn't get anywhere. But any idea what is causing this? It is on the latest firmware

I just switched to this router from renting Spectrum's router, and never had issues with their router before.

Welcome to the forums @wasthe58Uabadidea.

'The latest firmware' doesn't mean anything. Which firmware are you actually running?

As the unit is used/renewed, did you do a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want to use on it first?

This may also be helpful with a used device.

But any idea what is causing this?

Your router is constantly looking for better Wi-Fi channels on Auto settings. Select control channel 6 on 2.4GHz with 20MHz channel bandwidth and control channel 36 on 5GHz with 80MHz channel bandwidth. All acsd messages will disappear from the System Log and your devices will stay connected. Try again and see how it goes.

Welcome to the forums @wasthe58Uabadidea.

'The latest firmware' doesn't mean anything. Which firmware are you actually running?

As the unit is used/renewed, did you do a full reset to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you want to use on it first?

This may also be helpful with a used device.

Thank you.

I am running Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.388_23925. I did not do a full reset, but when it came it was resetted as it prompted me to set everything up and my log in. It also automatically updated to this firmware version during set up, and I double checked to make sure it is the latest, according to ASUS' site.

Thank you, I'll review that

Your router is constantly looking for better Wi-Fi channels on Auto settings. Select control channel 6 on 2.4GHz with 20MHz channel bandwidth and control channel 36 on 5GHz with 80MHz channel bandwidth. All acsd messages will disappear from the System Log and your devices will stay connected. Try again and see how it goes.
Thank you so much!!! I'll give that a shot

You don't need to reset anything. The messages are from Automatic Channel Selection Daemon (ascd). Your router on Auto is in dense 2.4GHz environment (apartment building?) and it jumps over every 2.4GHz channel often. Your 5GHz radio on Auto is running on control channel 48 and channel bandwidth 160MHz in DFS range. This means detected radar communications will disrupt your Wi-Fi. Both above will cause client disconnections. Some clients may not reconnect for a while.

Ch.6 @20MHz on 2.4GHz and Ch.36 @80MHz on 5GHz may not be ideal for you, but will stop the constant channel hunting and disconnections at least. You can also try Ch.149 @80MHz on 5GHz, you are perhaps in the US, it's also available. Test which one works better for you - Ch.36 or Ch.149 and use one of the two.

Last edited:
My suggestion

Two things:

- The first goal is to stabilize the network, not to find the better channel.
- Broadcom drivers are bad at selecting good channels, don't look at the logs too much.

Thanks for your suggestions. 🤨

Broadcom drivers are bad at selecting good channels, don't look at the logs too much.
Interesting information, although I've never checked it. Are these your observations or some larger research?

Logs aside - typically channels 1, 6 and 11 are chosen by 90% of networks.

Thanks for your suggestions. 🤨
At your service;)

Are these your observations

Yes, I had 12x different models Asus routers to play with at some point including the specific one in question.

Logs aside - typically channels 1, 6 and 11 are chosen by 90% of networks.

No, the channel choice on newer radio chipsets is a formula calculation with available bandwidth as significant weight.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!