What's new

AX58u - Samsung phone slows to either 50 or 150mbps until wifi restarted?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ac1617

New Around Here
Hey everyone,

Just bought a AX58u, having a strange issue with both the latest stock firmware and Merlin. Upon initial connection with my Z Fold 3, I can hit 900-1000mbps on wifi without issue. However, with no rhyme or reason after a certain amount of time (could be a few hours or the next day) the speeds would just cap at 50mbps OR 150mbps. This is a hard cap on speed tests and no amount of elapsed time would fix it until I toggle the wifi on and off on my phone.
Strangely, I didn't have this problem using my IP's wifi 6 router. Pretty disappointed at this unreliability. I can't figure out what's going on. Anyone have any ideas?

All AI Protection, QoS, Parent Control etc services are off. Tried both manually setting a DFS band and leaving it on auto.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This sounds like a powersave setting on the phone. My Dell laptop laptop does this when running on batteries. I never bothered to fix it as I want as much battery life as possible.

Good idea however I had an ax11000 and an ax86u, the ax86u gave the reduced speed whereas no issues walking in range of the ax11000 and return to max speed

no longer have the ax86u to test but based on above I don't think that's the cause

Yeah I have a WiFi 6 AP from my ISP (Telus) and it doesn't have this issue. Ended up using my old TP link AC2600 and loaded OpenWRT for routing and used the Telus AP for wifi 6. Works like a charm. I returned the AX58u sadly, I heard so much good things about Asus routers but considering Samsung is one of the largest Android brands, it's disappointing to see such a glaring issue being ignored.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!