What's new

AX58U Takes 10 minutes to broadcast 5Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ClausB

New Around Here
Hi
I have an issue every time I power on my AX58U it takes 10 minutes before I can connect to my 5 Ghz network. The 2.4 Ghz I can connect to almost immediately.
The problem started after applying the previous firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45898 and the problem persists with the current version 3.0.0.4.386.47029. I have done the reset to Factory settings.
I have raised a support ticket with ASUS twice but they don't seem to have a solution or the inclination to take the issue further. in reality it seems like they don't care much.
Hope someone in here has a good idea.

Hi
I have an issue every time I power on my AX58U it takes 10 minutes before I can connect to my 5 Ghz network. The 2.4 Ghz I can connect to almost immediately.
The problem started after applying the previous firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.45898 and the problem persists with the current version 3.0.0.4.386.47029. I have done the reset to Factory settings.
I have raised a support ticket with ASUS twice but they don't seem to have a solution or the inclination to take the issue further. in reality it seems like they don't care much.
Hope someone in here has a good idea.

Shot in the dark... set the 5.0 band to 80 MHz bandwidth and a fixed, non-DFS channel. Maybe the router is taking a lot of time to determine a channel to use.

Also test with more than one client.

OE

I have an issue every time I power on my AX58U it takes 10 minutes before I can connect to my 5 Ghz network.
That's normal if you're in Canada or the EU. You have configured your router to include the use of weather radar channels, 120-128. It is a legal requirement that routers listen for 10 minutes to ensure those channels are clear before using them.

Last edited:
Shot in the dark... set the 5.0 band to 80 MHz bandwidth and a fixed, non-DFS channel. Maybe the router is taking a lot of time to determine a channel to use.

Also test with more than one client.

OE
Thanks. Tried it but the problem persist. Changed to 80 Mhz as suggested and channel 120.

Channel 120 is a DFS channel, with 10 minute delay. Try channel 36, should work straight away. This is normal behaviour.

Thanks guys for the info on the DFS channels. I did not know this. Found an ASUS knowledge article that actually describes this and states the up to 10 minutes delay...........makes you wonder why ASUS support didn't tell me this
Really appreciate your replies as this has been bugging me for some time now.

Strictly speaking it's only the weather radar channels (120-128) that require a 10 minute delay. It's just that they also happen to be within the larger DFS range (52-144 in the USA). If you were to exclude channels 120-128 the other DFS channels only require a 60 second wait time. Unfortunately there's not an option in the GUI to exclude just the weather radar channels.

Please try your router with the default WIFI settings. Yes, use Dual Band SmartConnect and auto channel on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I use the 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. Do not check the DFS box. The router 5 GHz will run at 80 MHz most of the time. When it detects an AX client it will go to 160 MHz if the router is cleared for RADAR. With the use of Dual Band SmartConnect the clients can use either band and keep working if the 5 GHz is bounced off by RADAR.
Trust your router to pick the channel and bandwidth it needs. In time if you observe it is choosing a specific channel all the time you can set a fixed channel. Neighborhood routers in my area are always changing channel and the best for me changes from day to day.

Strictly speaking it's only the weather radar channels (120-128) that require a 10 minute delay. It's just that they also happen to be within the larger DFS range (52-144 in the USA). If you were to exclude channels 120-128 the other DFS channels only require a 60 second wait time. Unfortunately there's not an option in the GUI to exclude just the weather radar channels.
Thanks for the explanation. At least I now understand why I have the wait time

Please try your router with the default WIFI settings. Yes, use Dual Band SmartConnect and auto channel on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz. I use the 5 GHz set to 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. Do not check the DFS box. The router 5 GHz will run at 80 MHz most of the time. When it detects an AX client it will go to 160 MHz if the router is cleared for RADAR. With the use of Dual Band SmartConnect the clients can use either band and keep working if the 5 GHz is bounced off by RADAR.
Trust your router to pick the channel and bandwidth it needs. In time if you observe it is choosing a specific channel all the time you can set a fixed channel. Neighborhood routers in my area are always changing channel and the best for me changes from day to day.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely consider this.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!