What's new

AX68U 5Ghz dropping and AX68U vs AX92U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RouterSwitchHub

New Around Here
Hi everyone,

I purchased a AX68U a few weeks ago but have been having constant wifi issues on the 5Ghz band. It would randomly kick all devices off that are connected to this wifi band and happens maybe 2 to 3 times a day. I have tried a lot of different things and all of them have failed so far. I am trying this one last thing (using 386.3_2 merlin as suggested one another post on this forum) before I give up and return it to amazon.

Right now, I have purchased an AX92U and know that it doesn't support merlin. I have flashed it to the latest firmware and so far the 5Ghz_2 seems stable for the last 3 days.

If the AX68U manages to get fixed with the 386.3_2 firmware, should I keep the AX68U or the AX92U ?

house is 2500 square feet.
No plans to get an 2nd router in the future.
2-5 ethernet connections.
10-15 wifi devices. (only 2 are AX devices, the rest are mostly AC)
1Gbps wan connection plan but it only tops out at 500 to 800Mbps.
1 gamer, 4 streamers, 2 WFH (heavy zoom/teams users) users that need reliable wifi.

Right now i can't feel any differences in terms of the range between the two routers. I think our AX laptop is actually running slower when connected to AX92U than when to AX68U.
Both routers are running on 80mhz on the 5G band. The 2.4G band is also slower on the AX92U.

Is there anything on the AX92U that makes it stand out?
I see WTFast on it but haven't tried it yet.
Was disappointed that the 2.4ghz was slower and the first 5Ghz_1 Band is AC only.
Am I at risk with the 386.3_2 firmware because it is 4 increments behind and missing alot of security patches?

AX68U was $160 before tax.
AX92U was $200 before tax.

I got till June 8 to make sure this new firmware is stable with AX68U or i got to return before the return period is over.

Thanks,

Any suggestions and opinions?

to shorten it for simplicity, what are pro's and con's when comparing AX68U vs AX92U?
so far, this is what I think I know based on research and personal experience.

AX68U Pros
-cheaper
-merlin support
-3x3 on 2.4ghz and 5ghz band. (I think the AX92U only has 2x2 except for the 2nd 5ghz band)

AX68U Cons
-386.5_2 and latest ASUS firmware is exhibiting 5ghz Wi-Fi issues.
-If 386.3_2 fixes the 5Ghz Wi-Fi issue, I'll still be 4 firmware version behind and missing a lot of security patches.
-dual band (not sure if this is a con or not)
-manufacturing date is 2020 on the box when i bought it in 2022 (not sure if there is newer revisions, this one is A1)

AX92U Pros
- tri band and 5Ghz_2 says it supports up to 4800Mbps.
- WTFast support (haven't tried it yet)
- 160mhz on 5Ghz_2 (I tried this yesterday to test but it still says my devices are on 80mhz in the wireless logs)
- I am using the latest ASUS firmware and the 5ghz_2 Wi-Fi is not kicking me intermittently
- manufacturing date is 2021, so it might not be the older or newest revision, probably something in the middle.
- more range ( I can't tell the difference but I haven't done any proper range testing)
- 2.4Ghz band only supports up to 802.11N

AX92U Cons
-more expensive
-2.4ghz and 5ghz_1 are only 2x2.
-160mhz channel doesn't seem to be working I think as the wireless log page only shows it on 80mhz even when I set it to run at 160mhz only.
-no merlin (to be honest, I am not too knowledgeable between merlin and the stock firmware but I really like the merlin's wireless log page. much more clean and it auto updates.

Appreciate your input.
Thanks

The 5.0 spectrum gets crowded/inflexible with 2 bands, radar/DFS, and ax at 160MHz bw, imo. Dual band is sufficient until WiFi6e (6.0 band with many 160MHz options), especially with a wired AiMesh backhaul, imo.

Wireless clients will be happy with 2 streams, but I'd bank at least 3 or 4 streams in case you decide to add or repurpose to a wireless AiMesh node.

Start with Asuswrt; save third party firmware for later, if you need it. Reset the firmware before you configure it.

Consider one central AX86U or similar/better. If your 2500sf is on one level and/or you need outdoor coverage, allow for adding a node later, with the two units spread out wide, ~40-70ft.

Review the firmware history/support to guage ASUS' love for a model. Many of their offerings are more about marketing/their zero marginal cost than about your needs, which makes comparing such models somewhat pointless... compare a model's specs to your need/application/requirements/experience, and ignore the fluff.

My install notes can be used for a base configuration... they are brief but sufficient once you become familiar with Asuswrt. They speak to things to think about/consider/learn... what I've gathered here since 2018.

Also quickly browse the AX subforum for model discussions to home in on candidates.

The network is everything and a decent router in time can serve 5 years minimum before you know it, so consider cost last. Where $100-150 use to do it, the last few years has pushed this upward to $200-250... for example.

OE

Last edited:
The 5.0 spectrum gets crowded/inflexible with 2 bands, radar/DFS, and ax at 160MHz bw, imo. Dual band is sufficient until WiFi6e (6.0 band with many 160MHz options), especially with a wired AiMesh backhaul, imo.

Wireless clients will be happy with 2 streams, but I'd bank at least 3 or 4 streams in case you decide to add or repurpose to a wireless AiMesh node.

Start with Asuswrt; save third party firmware for later, if you need it. Reset the firmware before you configure it.

Consider one central AX86U or similar/better. If your 2500sf is on one level and/or you need outdoor coverage, allow for adding a node later, with the two units spread out wide, ~40-70ft.

Review the firmware history/support to guage ASUS' love for a model. Many of their offerings are more about marketing/their zero marginal cost than about your needs, which makes comparing such models somewhat pointless... compare a model's specs to your need/application/requirements/experience, and ignore the fluff.

My install notes can be used for a base configuration... they are brief but sufficient once you become familiar with Asuswrt. They speak to things to think about/consider/learn... what I've gathered here since 2018.

Also quickly browse the AX subforum for model discussions to home in on candidates.

The network is everything and a decent router in time can serve 5 years minimum before you know it, so consider cost last. Where $100-150 use to do it, the last few years has pushed this upward to $200-250... for example.

OE
Got my family's input on this and were deciding to keep the AX92U and return the AX68U. The AX86U is $363 Cad which is a substantial increase and most likely we won't be going for it.
I have also made some changes based on your basic setting guide. Mostly in the Wifi 5Ghz_2 page.

The AX68U 5Ghz WiFi appears to be working correctly with the version 386.3_2 firmware than the newest version but I lose all the security changes and didn't want to take a risk incase there are no feature firmware version that will fix this issue. 386.3_2 is already 4 versions behind.

I've noticed my AX68U was able to get 900Mbps(Lan port) on our 1Gbps internet and the AX92U is only able to do 550Mbps on the lan port. I am performing the test from the speed test directly from the router.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

I have tried rebooting the router.
Leaving the router unpowered for a few minutes.
I checked the ports and they all say 1Gbps.

1654463734679.png

Thanks

Got my family's input on this and were deciding to keep the AX92U and return the AX68U. The AX86U is $363 Cad which is a substantial increase and most likely we won't be going for it.
I have also made some changes based on your basic setting guide. Mostly in the Wifi 5Ghz_2 page.

The AX68U 5Ghz WiFi appears to be working correctly with the version 386.3_2 firmware than the newest version but I lose all the security changes and didn't want to take a risk incase there are no feature firmware version that will fix this issue. 386.3_2 is already 4 versions behind.

I've noticed my AX68U was able to get 900Mbps(Lan port) on our 1Gbps internet and the AX92U is only able to do 550Mbps on the lan port. I am performing the test from the speed test directly from the router.

Any troubleshooting ideas?

I have tried rebooting the router.
Leaving the router unpowered for a few minutes.
I checked the ports and they all say 1Gbps.

View attachment 41598

Thanks

Try a speedtest.net or similar on a current PC wired to the router.

OE

Any suggestions and opinions?

to shorten it for simplicity, what are pro's and con's when comparing AX68U vs AX92U?
so far, this is what I think I know based on research and personal experience.

AX68U Pros
-cheaper
-merlin support
-3x3 on 2.4ghz and 5ghz band. (I think the AX92U only has 2x2 except for the 2nd 5ghz band)

AX68U Cons
-386.5_2 and latest ASUS firmware is exhibiting 5ghz Wi-Fi issues.
-If 386.3_2 fixes the 5Ghz Wi-Fi issue, I'll still be 4 firmware version behind and missing a lot of security patches.
-dual band (not sure if this is a con or not)
-manufacturing date is 2020 on the box when i bought it in 2022 (not sure if there is newer revisions, this one is A1)

AX92U Pros
- tri band and 5Ghz_2 says it supports up to 4800Mbps.
- WTFast support (haven't tried it yet)
- 160mhz on 5Ghz_2 (I tried this yesterday to test but it still says my devices are on 80mhz in the wireless logs)
- I am using the latest ASUS firmware and the 5ghz_2 Wi-Fi is not kicking me intermittently
- manufacturing date is 2021, so it might not be the older or newest revision, probably something in the middle.
- more range ( I can't tell the difference but I haven't done any proper range testing)
- 2.4Ghz band only supports up to 802.11N

AX92U Cons
-more expensive
-2.4ghz and 5ghz_1 are only 2x2.
-160mhz channel doesn't seem to be working I think as the wireless log page only shows it on 80mhz even when I set it to run at 160mhz only.
-no merlin (to be honest, I am not too knowledgeable between merlin and the stock firmware but I really like the merlin's wireless log page. much more clean and it auto updates.

Appreciate your input.
Thanks
I only have 2x2 AX clients, so I only see 80MHz connections on 5GHz_2. So don’t enable 160MHz and stay off the DFS channels if you run real time apps.

In my experience, the AX92 is a little tight on RAM space. So I would not be enabling stuff you don’t need. I have tried turning off AiProtection and don’t see a performance difference.

OE’s guides are good stuff.
Personally, I run 3 separate SSID’s and allow only AX connections on 5GHz_2.

The best wireless speeds I see are from my iPhone 13 Pro on the AX connection at about 660 line of sight at about 10’. YMMV.

Try a speedtest.net or similar on a current PC wired to the router.

OE
Thanks.
I restarted the modem and connected my laptop to it directly.
looks like I am getting throttled again.
1Gbps is what I paid for but only getting between 500Mbps to 700Mbps (depending on the hour of the day). connected each router to the modem and i have been getting pretty much the test results.

how accurate is the Rssi/dBm on the Asus routers and is it normal for different routers to have different results?
i've noticed the AX68U signal strength is much better than the AX92U.

I set them up in the same room and tried walking downstairs to scan their RSSI/dBm with various wifi analyzer apps and the AX68U keeps getting the better results on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID. at the Edge of my house is when AX92U disappears but the AX68U will still be up with a weak signal strength.

Thanks.
I restarted the modem and connected my laptop to it directly.
looks like I am getting throttled again.
1Gbps is what I paid for but only getting between 500Mbps to 700Mbps (depending on the hour of the day). connected each router to the modem and i have been getting pretty much the test results.

how accurate is the Rssi/dBm on the Asus routers and is it normal for different routers to have different results?
i've noticed the AX68U signal strength is much better than the AX92U.

I set them up in the same room and tried walking downstairs to scan their RSSI/dBm with various wifi analyzer apps and the AX68U keeps getting the better results on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID. at the Edge of my house is when AX92U disappears but the AX68U will still be up with a weak signal strength.

Someone here familiar with 1Gbps Internet service and your equipment will have to confirm what speeds to expect... I suspect you should be measuring ~1Gbps, given wired/capable equipment and no degraded interconnects like loose/damaged/wet/old/noisey/failing coax, etc. For instance, coax has a minimum bend radius of ~3"... when someone wraps it up in a tight/knotted wad, they can crush the diaelectric spacing material between the outer shielding and center conductor (critical to signal propagation), degrading the transmission characteristics of the cable, causing it to be less capable, especially at much higher data rates... what might have supported 200Mbps may not achieve 1Gbps. Or it could be as simple as loose/wet connections on a utility pole somewhere.

I would assume that the router Received Signal Strength Indication is nominally/relatively accurate for that router and client. I would not be surprised that a newer build router indicates marginally stronger reception. Given all of the possible contributors, I would not dwell too much on any one marginal variation... at least not until you have resolved more critical issues like getting the service you are paying for and the equipment in place to utilize it.

OE

Someone here familiar with 1Gbps Internet service and your equipment will have to confirm what speeds to expect... I suspect you should be measuring ~1Gbps, given wired/capable equipment and no degraded interconnects like loose/damaged/wet/old/noisey/failing coax, etc. For instance, coax has a minimum bend radius of ~3"... when someone wraps it up in a tight/knotted wad, they can crush the diaelectric spacing material between the outer shielding and center conductor (critical to signal propagation), degrading the transmission characteristics of the cable, causing it to be less capable, especially at much higher data rates... what might have supported 200Mbps may not achieve 1Gbps. Or it could be as simple as loose/wet connections on a utility pole somewhere.

I would assume that the router Received Signal Strength Indication is nominally/relatively accurate for that router and client. I would not be surprised that a newer build router indicates marginally stronger reception. Given all of the possible contributors, I would not dwell too much on any one marginal variation... at least not until you have resolved more critical issues like getting the service you are paying for and the equipment in place to utilize it.

OE
Thanks for the info.

I actually got 900Mbps to 1Gbps a few days ago with no changes to the equipment and cables.

I think it is either congestion or throttling.

I just find it a little odd that the AX68U has better signal strength than the 92U.
Just by a small amount on the 5Ghz band but significantly better on the 2.4Ghz.

I made sure they were close to each other and I had them both running the same channel with the same 80Mhz bw.
I also mirrored the other settings as well.

1654640102795.png

1654640134032.png

The AX92u 2.4ghz band will only give you 100 mb/s. I nearlly didn't buy mine because of this let down.

However, it performs so well in other areas.

The 2.4ghz band has great range m (far more than my previous netgear AP's). It's great for IOT devices which don't need a lot of bandwidth.

As others have stated, your AX92u 5g2 band will give you the full 1gbps, even with wireless backhaul. It actually does 2.4gbps.

The key to getting 160mhz is manually selection the channel. It's different for each country so you'll have you'll have to try each one until it connects. Don't forget to wait 15 minutes, it takes this long for the band to switch on (something to do with WiFi regulations, can't remember what).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!