What's new

AX8 is hot! anyone notice?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pod3545

Occasional Visitor
Been using a new AX8 for a couple weeks and I notice that this thing gets really warm. Much more than my other routers ever did. I saw on youtube that this has a fan in it (real quiet, listen closely) but still, the countertop it sits on gets really toasty. I've decided to put it on a bakers cooling rack from the kitchen that will give it a couple inches of airspace under it.

I admit I do have all the ports in use and a steady stream of traffic through it as I stream data from POE cams to my NAS as well as just general workloads.

Anyone notice how warm this thing is? I'm a little concerned how long it will make it past the 1yr warranty.

It is isn’t any hotter than the R8500 or AC88U. Definitely not as cool as the R7800 I’ll give you that. But if you really want you can go to the hidden fan control page and adjust the fan settings/thresholds.

routerlogin.net/Thermal_FAN.htm

Attachments

• A1248E9C-FBDF-4E5C-84AE-EF673726ED91.png
    A1248E9C-FBDF-4E5C-84AE-EF673726ED91.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Have you heard the internal fan kick on?

The internal fan is actually on from the moment you power it up. You have to be quiet and put your head down close but you can hear it. that's actually the only way I've heard the fan so far. It hasn't ramped up or anything at least.

It is isn’t any hotter than the R8500 or AC88U. Definitely not as cool as the R7800 I’ll give you that. But if you really want you can go to the hidden fan control page and adjust the fan settings/thresholds.

routerlogin.net/Thermal_FAN.htm

I was looking on the thread that talks about the hidden pages but the fan page doesn't come up. at least on mine.