What's new

AX86S and 388.1 final-388.2 Alpha builds

• Thread starter Deleted member 84281
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

D

Deleted member 84281

Got a AX86S and using the newer Merlin builds 388.1 and the latest 388.2 Alpha my memory keeps going down rapidly despite the fact i am not doing anything with the router except routing no add ons no scrips just vanilla config. The way it looks it will be crashing soon as the available memory keeps going down. I can log in and just navigate around to various pages in the UI and watch ram drop what the heck is going on here ? Thanks for any advice.

Even with 386 FW I was surprised with memory usage on my AX86S compared to last ASUS router AX58U.

Generally nothing to worry about as system will manage memory fine but…

I do think there could be a memory issue with 388 on some routers. My issue is that memory use gets too high and is not released then router crashes and restarts.

This is not a Merlin issue specially and will need to be fixed by ASUS first. Hopefully in next code / GPL that Merlin uses in 388.3.

my advice is to wait and see what happens with your router without trying to fix anything. See if memory is released or if the router reboots.

You can also ssh into router and use top command to see what is using all the memory. See if networkmap is using the memory.

hope this is helpful

Even with 386 FW I was surprised with memory usage on my AX86S compared to last ASUS router AX58U.

Generally nothing to worry about as system will manage memory fine but…

I do think there could be a memory issue with 388 on some routers. My issue is that memory use gets too high and is not released then router crashes and restarts.

This is not a Merlin issue specially and will need to be fixed by ASUS first. Hopefully in next code / GPL that Merlin uses in 388.3.

my advice is to wait and see what happens with your router without trying to fix anything. See if memory is released or if the router reboots.

You can also ssh into router and use top command to see what is using all the memory. See if networkmap is using the memory.

hope this is helpful

Very helpful. Thanks..

Maybe but another user has same issue with different router - AX68U

I just ssh into my router and I can see that networkmap is using more memory that it should and it is gradually increasing but I am not 100% convinced it is just this one process causing the issue.

If you wait and the router crashes and you/we confirm it is related to networkmap then another user has a script that will restart networkmap on a schedule and this could resolve the issue until it is resolved upstream. I will post the thread link in a sec

Forgot to say one thing. 388.2 (currently in testing/alpha) used the same ASUS code/GPL as 388.1 so do not expect this to resolve the issue. If you are not using wireguard, there is very little point using 388.2 - especially test builds on your router

MY AX86S normally around 80-95% RAM use. Swap utilised every time. I have swap at 5GB.

Thanks @Mogsy - I'm not using a swap - no need for it in my use case. The system should manage memory without needing a swap file unless using specific features that need it IMO.

My up time is now 5 days and memory use up to 91% - it's creeping up at about 1% per day so I will keep monitoring to see if the router crashes/reboots. If not then happy days

it's creeping up at about 1% per day so I will keep monitoring to see if the router crashes/reboots.

Yep same thing here about 1% per day then crash and reboot then repeat. There is a memory leak.

Has anyone tried the latest stock firmware for AX86U/S? Good to know if the issue has been resolved upstream and/or if Asus are aware of the issue.

I'm not planning to test the asus firmware as I need merlin for cake qos and a few other features plus my apple homekit stuff is all working great and I can't risk it :cool:

Has anyone tried the latest stock firmware for AX86U/S? Good to know if the issue has been resolved upstream and/or if Asus are aware of the issue.

I'm not planning to test the asus firmware as I need merlin for cake qos and a few other features plus my apple homekit stuff is all working great and I can't risk it :cool:

Seems fine to me on both routers, but I literally have nothing enabled on SW end. 370-390mb consumed in mem tab on AX86S.

Has anyone tried the latest stock firmware for AX86U/S?

It seems the Asus stock has the same issue however i only used it for 2 days but it was dropping about 1% a day. Faster if you click around the UI for any amount of time. Just seems strange there are posts saying it's something with the network map. Not sure no expert here just wish there was a fix.

Seems fine to me on both routers, but I literally have nothing enabled on SW end. 370-390mb consumed in mem tab on AX86S.
Just to confirm that you are running latest stock fw on AX86S and you are not seeing memory use creeping up and also no random reboots of the router after a few days?

It seems the Asus stock has the same issue however i only used it for 2 days but it was dropping about 1% a day. Faster if you click around the UI for any amount of time. Just seems strange there are posts saying it's something with the network map. Not sure no expert here just wish there was a fix.
Understood. Fix will come soon in merlin I hope. Need to wait and see what GPL version is used in 388.3

Just to confirm that you are running latest stock fw on AX86S and you are not seeing memory use creeping up and also no random reboots of the router after a few days?

Correct. It never goes over 400MB on AX86S specifically, though I have been shuffling testing between it and an AX86U for the past couple weeks.

AX86S has been on for 3 days according to log.

Last edited:
Correct. It never goes over 400MB on AX86S specifically, though I have been shuffling testing between it and an AX86U for the past couple weeks.

AX86S has been on for 3 days according to log.
Good news I think. Can you keep us updated on this thread please? Keen to see what happens after a few more days running stock on your AX86S

Good news I think. Can you keep us updated on this thread please? Keen to see what happens after a few more days running stock on your AX86S

I just clicked around the UI for a bunch and the memory went to 460.. so other guy is correct. Only happens if you mess around UI.. odd.

Dropped to 385 After.. no reboot. (I never had the router randomly restart FYI)

Telnet Log:
-/+ buffers/cache: 237728 172704
Swap: 0 0 0
MemTotal: 410432 kB
MemFree: 128544 kB
MemAvailable: 124840 kB
Buffers: 0 kB
Cached: 44160 kB
SwapCached: 0 kB
Active: 69732 kB
Inactive: 20304 kB
Active(anon): 50116 kB
Inactive(anon): 672 kB
Active(file): 19616 kB
Inactive(file): 19632 kB
Unevictable: 0 kB
Mlocked: 0 kB
SwapTotal: 0 kB
SwapFree: 0 kB
Dirty: 0 kB
Writeback: 0 kB
AnonPages: 45824 kB
Mapped: 12208 kB
Shmem: 4912 kB
Slab: 151688 kB
SReclaimable: 4540 kB
SUnreclaim: 147148 kB
KernelStack: 2320 kB
PageTables: 2212 kB
NFS_Unstable: 0 kB
Bounce: 0 kB
WritebackTmp: 0 kB
CommitLimit: 410432 kB
Committed_AS: 131248 kB
VmallocTotal: 260046784 kB
VmallocUsed: 38824 kB
VmallocChunk: 259951180 kB

Last edited:
No idea about memory issues.
This is running since the alpha was released pretty much.
I don't use any scripts nor VPN.
up.png
mem.png