What's new

AX86S Slow WiFi speeds?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

digi91

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I have an ASUS AX86S currently running Merlin 386.5_2 after having some issues with 388.1. Yesterday I did a “nuclear” reset, changed my ssid(s) and even split them into 2 separate networks (before they were split with the same ssid.) Currently we pay for gigabit download from Comcast and I can consistently get around 947 Mbps wired with no issues. What I am noticing is since having the split bands I seem to be getting slower speeds over WiFi now. Before I used to average around 500-600 Mbps throughout most of our condo. Currently only the Apple TVs, streaming devices, and gaming stuff is on the 5ghz band and everything else is on 2.4. Over 2.4 I’m averaging around 80-90 Mbps and 320 Mbps on the 5ghz band. Is this “typical” ? I have tweaked a few things but nothing crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excellent speed for 2.4GHz band in a condo.

Check the link speed to this device in Wireless Log. Use 36-48 or 149-161 @80Mhz.
I should note it’s not a condo complex with 100s of units. We are in a townhouse and have a total of 5 units.

I have attached the log, wireless settings, and the channel analysis via airport utility.

Attachments

• 94DCB274-76A0-4142-BAA5-86E909F17472.png
    94DCB274-76A0-4142-BAA5-86E909F17472.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 91
  • FDA4B676-B8EC-4F4E-92AA-73F34E8DD539.png
    FDA4B676-B8EC-4F4E-92AA-73F34E8DD539.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 65F711E0-8315-4526-A687-6D48943A50E7.png
    65F711E0-8315-4526-A687-6D48943A50E7.png
    69.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 1D8EF4AA-8551-4B5E-8B68-3D9F875FACF8.png
    1D8EF4AA-8551-4B5E-8B68-3D9F875FACF8.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
Your 2.4GHz speed is limited by technology. With Channel Bandwidth 20MHz (keep it this way) common 2-stream 802.11n client connects at up to 144Mbps link speed with about 90Mbps throughput. If you have AX clients connecting at 2.4GHz you can get up to 288Mbps link speed per stream, in theory. Avoid using 2.4GHz band for high bandwidth requirement devices. The speed will vary greatly on Wi-Fi environment change.

Your screenshots are barely readable. I can't see your link speeds with 3 pixel high font, sorry. Don't use Wi-Fi analyzer type apps to determine the best channel. They only show you how many APs are using the channel, but not the available bandwidth per channel. You don't know how many are active. This is a common mistake. Better test the channels and see what works best for you. Use fixed non-DFS channels for better Wi-Fi stability.

The non-DFS advice is safe across the board. But some of us are blessed with totally-unfettered use. Depends on where you are.

Your phone's battery charge drops fast - 98% to 96% in a short period of time. This is what I can see on the screenshots. :)
That airport utility app murders the battery haha! I will repost the images at a higher res didn’t realize they would be so low even at “actual size”

It it Spark NZ? If it is, you're in the future. Sorry, I can't predict the future. :)

It it Spark NZ? If it is, you're in the future. Sorry, I can't predict the future. :)
Not sure what you mean, the airport utility is literally Apple airport WiFi utility haha! I assume spark NZ is a carrier? Forgive my ignorance. Once I get home I will get screenshots from my pc.

Spark is a mobile operator in New Zealand. I was wandering if you walk upside down and in year 2023 already. :)
Got it! Nope I am in the USA. Please let me know if these are better for you!
Added my speedtest from my PC wired.

Attachments

• asus1.png
    asus1.png
    102 KB · Views: 84
  • asus3.png
    asus3.png
    174.7 KB · Views: 85
  • asus2.png
    asus2.png
    101.1 KB · Views: 82
  • asus4.png
    asus4.png
    21.6 KB · Views: 85
  • speedtest.png
    speedtest.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 88
Looks good to me. I would lock the channels instead of Auto to prevent disconnections on channel change. Devices with link speeds showing 6/780 are in power save mode. When testing Wi-Fi from mobile devices you may get lower numbers because power conservation is more important than maximum speed. Some mobile devices have aggressive power saving. Not sure why you prefer 2.4GHz band. AC/AX works well on lower signal levels. See example below. Have you made any changes to Professional settings page?

1672522157112.png

Looks good to me. I would lock the channels instead of Auto to prevent disconnections on channel change. Devices with link speeds showing 6/780 are in power save mode. When testing Wi-Fi from mobile devices you may get lower numbers because power conservation is more important than maximum speed. Some mobile devices have aggressive power saving. Not sure why you prefer 2.4GHz band. AC/AX works well on lower signal levels. See example below. Have you made any changes to Professional settings page?

View attachment 46828
I haven’t changed too much there I think universal beamforming off and maybe preamble short for 2.4. I figured to keep more things off of 5ghz if not needed and also it’s easier to set up iot devices on 2.4 from the phone if they are being picky. Everything has been stable just wasn’t sure if I was getting the speeds I should be getting. I’ve tried a few of the recommended channels but it wasn’t great so I switched it to auto for the time being. I used to mess around with tomato and dd-wrt but it’s been a while and I came from eeros that I hated with no much tweaking available.

Last edited:
I figured to keep more things off of 5ghz if not needed

This is a wrong strategy because all devices connected to 2.4GHz band share the 90Mbps throughput. It's not to each device - all of them. Your router can do much better. Here random test AX86U (the same radios as yours) to AC desktop client with not perfect Wi-Fi conditions (about 440Mbps):

1672522727800.png

Link speed 650Mbps @-60dBm. It can do better closer to the router at maximum 866Mbps link speed. Asuswrt 386_49599 firmware.

This is a wrong strategy because all devices connected to 2.4GHz band share the 90Mbps throughput. It's not to each device - all of them. Your router can do much better. Here random test AX86U (the same radios as yours) to AC desktop client with not perfect Wi-Fi conditions (about 440Mbps):

View attachment 46829

Link speed 650Mbps @-60dBm. It can do better closer to the router at maximum 866Mbps link speed.
Just ran a speed test from my iPhone on the 5ghz band. This is on the 2nd floor (main floor /router and modem are on the first floor) 3 story townhouse.

Attachments

• C0BEF015-3CE0-4289-8CD7-86501FB2250E.jpeg
    C0BEF015-3CE0-4289-8CD7-86501FB2250E.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 50
Your router is working well. Wi-Fi environment changes all the time. Don't stress to much about speedtests. Happy New Year! :)

Your router is working well. Wi-Fi environment changes all the time. Don't stress to much about speedtests. Happy New Year! :)
Thank you for easing my mind after the few days I’ve been in a battle with it!! Should I leave channel on auto for now if it’s working okay?

You should be celebrating the New Year today. It's 5PM here in my time zone and it's time for more enjoyable things. See you next year. :D

@Tech9 -> Log out

I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I'm hunting for one of these and reading your post has me wonder especially since you're not showing more than 1GB over the LAN. I'm on a lower Xfinity speed tier and similar to you I'm in a complex with lots of congestion so my goal was a more powerful router though I prefer ASWRT stock to Merlin since I have little need for its features :) Hope you get it resolved.

I hope you don't mind the intrusion, but I'm hunting for one of these and reading your post has me wonder especially since you're not showing more than 1GB over the LAN. I'm on a lower Xfinity speed tier and similar to you I'm in a complex with lots of congestion so my goal was a more powerful router though I prefer ASWRT stock to Merlin since I have little need for its features :) Hope you get it resolved.
I was thinking about trying ASUS stock but everything has been working great since the nuclear reset lol very stable and still on “auto” for the channel. Overall pretty satisfied

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!