What's new

AX86U and 388.1 Connection drop

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tetete

New Around Here
The symptom is like this:

• 5G or 2.4G devices will say this wifi connection can't connect to internet, and ask me if I want to switch to mobile data.
  • On my PC, which is wired connection, webpages will simply not loading during the internet connection drop. NIC seems still showing connected, but I can't connect to the router page too.
I never had this issue before on 386 firmware, so it must be 388 related. I have tried factory reset, and manually set the settings. It didn't resolve it.

Any suggestions? Will any logs help?

The symptom is like this:

• 5G or 2.4G devices will say this wifi connection can't connect to internet, and ask me if I want to switch to mobile data.
  • On my PC, which is wired connection, webpages will simply not loading during the internet connection drop. NIC seems still showing connected, but I can't connect to the router page too.
I never had this issue before on 386 firmware, so it must be 388 related. I have tried factory reset, and manually set the settings. It didn't resolve it.

Any suggestions? Will any logs help?
You are one of many.
See this post:

There is an Asus "test" firmware for the AX86U that has improved WIFI for those who have tried it. There is a download link in the thread for Merlin 388.1 and Asus Official for AX86U current release.

Yeah I guess I also have issues ever since 388.1 on AX86U

At least to me it seems that WIFI 6 from Router to Node just randomly drops from time to time
It can be fine for a day
And then on some days it just drops every few minutes

I am just seeing in the logs something about the authentication expiring all the time (forgot to save it before downgrade)

My signal is only quite near OK, but it was working fine before the upgrade
It was not really clear to me that it was because of the New Firmware until I started to consider that recently. (It didnt really seem to start as soon as I upgraded, but around that time yeah, or I didnt really notice for a while)

Only just downgraded now back to 386.7_2 and checking if this will help
EDIT: So far looks like it helped

Last edited:
Maybe a bit too late, but here's what I did and solved my issues with my AX86U and 388.1:
  1. Unmount USB
  2. Erase JFFS
  3. Hard reset
  4. Reconfigure everything from scratch
    1. WPA2 only
    2. No Smartconnect. Separate 2.4 and 5GHz SSID
    3. Fixed channel for both frequencies (do a scan to select the ones that have low interference form neighboring routers)
I've slowly incorporated other functions (openvpn server, changed DNS provider) add-ons and everything still works fine.

Hope that helps.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!