What's new

AX86U and MoCa Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

t4t3r

New Around Here
Long time listener, first time caller.

A couple of AX86Us fell into my lap recently for a good price, so I am going through some options on how I want to deploy them, but had some questions…

General setup: 2-story home, ~1400sq foot upstairs, 700sq foot unfinished basement (have some exercise equipment, workbench area, etc downstairs). Internet is 800mbps Xfinity. 2.4 and 5ghz wireless enabled with all devices currently using wireless for now (approx 15 devices - computers, tablets, Apple TVs, etc).

1. When using the 1g port for WAN from modem to router, I am able to max out the connection via 5ghz Wi-Fi (speed is over 900mbps). When I switch to using the 2.5g port instead, speed over 5ghz wifi drops down to around 650mbps. Why is this happening?

2. Looking to try out the other AX86U via AiMesh but don’t have option to use ethernet backhaul -but- my home does have wired coax to every room so I am looking at options for MoCa. What do I need MoCa-wise for modem+router at one end of the house to provide backhaul to the mesh AX86U at the other end?

2a. With just the one AX86U deployed at opposite end, signal downstairs is slightly degraded and only gives around 150-200mbps. Using mesh with a router above the basement on the second floor should, at least somewhat, improve the signal quality to the basement correct?

Thanks in advance.

1. When using the 1g port for WAN from modem to router, I am able to max out the connection via 5ghz Wi-Fi (speed is over 900mbps). When I switch to using the 2.5g port instead, speed over 5ghz wifi drops down to around 650mbps. Why is this happening?

I'm not sure what you are measuring... how can 800Mbps cable service measure over 900Mbps over WiFi.

Wire a PC to the cable modem and speedtest that. Then wire it to your router LAN and speed test that. Repeat for 2.5G WAN. Leave WiFi out of it.

2. Looking to try out the other AX86U via AiMesh but don’t have option to use ethernet backhaul -but- my home does have wired coax to every room so I am looking at options for MoCa. What do I need MoCa-wise for modem+router at one end of the house to provide backhaul to the mesh AX86U at the other end?

A MoCA link requires a MoCA adapter on each end of a coax segment. I recently did this as discussed here.

Beware DOCSIS3.1 service over the same segment.

2a. With just the one AX86U deployed at opposite end, signal downstairs is slightly degraded and only gives around 150-200mbps. Using mesh with a router above the basement on the second floor should, at least somewhat, improve the signal quality to the basement correct?

Adding an AP extends WiFi coverage. Turn them ON and walk around with a WiFi analyzer app to see their WLAN signal power/overlap at various locations.

OE

1) a map of your coax layout. get this first. needs to have everything that is connected on the coax. Since you are on comcast Xfinity, this is likely sharing with a DOCCIS 3.1 modem which will interfere with moca 2.0 and 2.5
2) for only two points, a pair of moca 2.5 modems would work. Possibly need a moca POE filter.
3) any splitter or other device in the coax must be rated for MOCA 2.0

I'm not sure what you are measuring... how can 800Mbps cable service measure over 900Mbps over WiFi.

Wire a PC to the cable modem and speedtest that. Then wire it to your router LAN and speed test that. Repeat for 2.5G WAN. Leave WiFi out of it.
Not sure what to tell you here but it's not uncommon to either be overprovisioned or get a little more than advertised. They offer a couple tiers in my service area above the 800 plan so not unusual imo. I just got the docsis 3.1 modem recently and the first test I did was straight to the modem = about 930mbps. When I hooked up the AX86U, I tested the wifi first with my computer that is right next to the modem/router and it hits that same 930mbps. Same for wired. I will have to test wired to the router using the 2.5g port. Using the exact same device in the exact same location but lower wifi speed with the 2.5g port vs the 1g port was repeatable. Doesn't make sense which is why I'm asking here.

1) a map of your coax layout. get this first. needs to have everything that is connected on the coax. Since you are on comcast Xfinity, this is likely sharing with a DOCCIS 3.1 modem which will interfere with moca 2.0 and 2.5
2) for only two points, a pair of moca 2.5 modems would work. Possibly need a moca POE filter.
3) any splitter or other device in the coax must be rated for MOCA 2.0

I believe the coax drop in every room is all connected to the Xfinity line. 3 bedrooms and one living room all with coax. I've tried the modem in a couple different rooms and no issues, so I think the interference will be something I need to address. How does that change what I need for adapters/splitters?

Thanks

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!