What's new

AX86u as access point, pfsense

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NotA+

Occasional Visitor
Any thoughts please?

Wish to sit a SG-1100 or similar between the cable modem and this, so:

Cable Modem -> Netgate SG-1100 (as router & firewall, with pfsense and pfblocker) ->switch -> AX86u (as AP).

What do you think?

Or recommend a different AP?

If your that concerned about network security, don't use consumer level based wifi routers in the first place. Also a complete waste of money on AX86u to just sit there as an AP

Is there an AP that you would recommend as an alternative please?

Considering the Ubiquiti UniFi. Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends on what devices you are connecting and the surrounding environment/obstacles. Are you maintaing 2.4ghz/5ghz devices or only one type? What throughput are they gonna need? Are you pushing stuff over a VPN via wifi that will be latency sensitive like real time video?

A TV, several tablets/phones, a few computers. Mostly 2.4. Nothing being pushed over a VPN (but I might use a VPN or I might not, not a requirement).

Netgate SG-1100

This is the smallest Netgate device capable of running pfSense and it's processing power is actually less than AX86U's own router part. Get SG-5100 or Qotom box instead with mobile i3/i5 CPU and min of 4GB RAM. Today you want pfBlocker, tomorrow you'll want Snort/Suricata or fast VPN. SG-1100 is good for basic configurations only with about 500Mbps ISP.

What do you think?

I think you have no idea what do you want.