What's new

AX86U & AX88U Pro, same power supply?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

redsandvb

Occasional Visitor
Quick question, the AX86U and the AX88U Pro use the same power supply, don't they? Assuming they're bought in the same region.

Because Asus support told me:
"Both routers have a different power supply. The RT-AX88U Pro has an AC Input: of 110V~240V(50~60Hz) and DC Output: 19 V with max. 2.37 A current or 19.5 V with max. 2.31 A current while the RT-AX86U has a 19 V with max. 2.37 A current / 19.5 V with max. 2.31 A current."

Call me crazy but that looks to be the same, except for the inclusion of input spec. info for the AX88U Pro.

Thanks!

We had the GT-AX6000, a HP laptop, and an Asus laptop that all use what appears to be the same power supply. Economies of scale - it kinda makes sense when you think about it!

As long as the Voltage is the same and it supplies enough current for the maximum current draw, the rest doesn't matter.
The issue is always if the Voltage is higher/lower or it can't supply enough current.

I bought an AX88U Pro when my AX86S (Note the 'S') gave up the ghost.
The power supplies appeared identical with the same specs on them.
So I just used the old one as it was a bit awkward to extract and it's fine.

The issue is always if the Voltage is higher/lower

All Asus routers I ever had in my hands worked well on 12V. Multiple step down VRMs inside, nothing uses 19V. Both power supplies 12V/3A and 19V/2.3A work equally well and even RT-AX86S has listed both in specs. This specific model may come with 12V or 19V power supply. I've seen both. This same 19V ~45W power supply is used for routers, laptops, chromebooks, etc. Higher voltage - thinner wires. Universal power supply for multiple devices - lower cost.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!