What's new

AX86U extremly low signal range for 5ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RaveBoy

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Writing here with a small problem (or not).

I own an Asus AX86U that was configured according to the best practices found here.
Router is running latest Merlin firmware.

At 1-2 meters from the router, everything is working as it should, my MacBook M1 it's connecting at max 1200 Mbps.
Problem is starting once I move a little further away from the router, around 6-7 meters and only a slim wall separating us ... my connection is dropping to 288Mbps - 400Mbps for all my devices (Mac and dell laptop) with significant speed drops.

I was wondering if there is any trick or any setting that could be changed in improving this range.

I don't want to believe that such an expensive router, it's dropping the signal big time at 6meters ....
Reading the online reviews seems that other people are not experiencing this type of issues .... maybe a hardware problem with my unit ?

Any advice really helps, below some screen shoots of my wifi config

Notes:
- I don't have airports / radars / anything near my house so I can use DFS channels
- I did not selected the 160mhz as my MacBook is only capable of 80mhz

1641462137498.png

1641462163528.png

try using a fixed control channel.

but imho 400Mbps wireless at 7meters with wall in between is not really bad. I get about the same on my ax86u.

Damn .... if you get the same then it's really disappointing ... I have a 1 bedroom apartment, if a 350euro router will not cover the whole apartment at at least 90% speed than I need my desk right next to the router ...

Damn .... if you get the same then it's really disappointing ... I have a 1 bedroom apartment, if a 350euro router will not cover the whole apartment at at least 90% speed than I need my desk right next to the router ...
400Mbps on a Wifi-5 AC device is about right though...

Apartments are hard for WiFi. The 'maximums' rarely apply. Too much WiFi in too concentrated a space (and usually with poor signal isolation between neighboring units).

What WiFi adaptors are your laptops using? What are the power settings set to? They should be at Maximum Performance and/or plugged into an AC outlet for maximum download/upload speeds.

Agree with the suggestion above to change the Control Channel to a fixed one. Set the Channel bandwidth to 80Mhz (or even 40MHz, depending on your testing).

Test every single channel for an extended period of time (I suggest 24 hours or more). This leaves enough time for the surrounding APs to move off the channel you're on.

Do not use any WiFi analyzer apps. Particularly not on the device you're testing with. They will drastically slow down the throughput. And also have you comparing effectively arbitrary 'numbers' that will mean little in the real world. These apps are useless for choosing the best channel. They cannot take into consideration non-WiFi sources of interference nor can they take into account channel utilization when they try to guess their 'recommendations'.

Note that you can select 160MHz and still have clients connect at lower speeds (this is in the WiFi design). However, with many APs around, doing so will make your router a target of interference from almost every channel available too.

Also, consider relocating the router. Keep in mind that sometimes moving a few inches in 3D space help far beyond what you may expect. This is because the router is designed to operate and configure its radios by what it 'sees', not what the client device 'sees' in its immediate location.

My RT-AX86U sits in a wardrobe in the bedroom. This where the ONT is and all works OK there. My wife uses her iPad in the dining room and gets her maximum possible speed of 866.7MHz. This is through three walls. My desktop is doing 960.7MHz and is a bit closer to the router.

Instead of editing my reply above, I wanted to make this additional point very noticeable with this post.

The indicated link/connection speed is not a valid criterion to judge the worthiness of the router. This can and will fluctuate over time, and may depend on the actual use of the network as well.

Measure actual throughput instead, from a variety of sources. Fast.com, speedtest.net, a local, fast, NAS, etc.

Apartments are hard for WiFi. The 'maximums' rarely apply. Too much WiFi in too concentrated a space (and usually with poor signal isolation between neighboring units).

What WiFi adaptors are your laptops using? What are the power settings set to? They should be at Maximum Performance and/or plugged into an AC outlet for maximum download/upload speeds.

Agree with the suggestion above to change the Control Channel to a fixed one. Set the Channel bandwidth to 80Mhz (or even 40MHz, depending on your testing).

Test every single channel for an extended period of time (I suggest 24 hours or more). This leaves enough time for the surrounding APs to move off the channel you're on.

Do not use any WiFi analyzer apps. Particularly not on the device you're testing with. They will drastically slow down the throughput. And also have you comparing effectively arbitrary 'numbers' that will mean little in the real world. These apps are useless for choosing the best channel. They cannot take into consideration non-WiFi sources of interference nor can they take into account channel utilization when they try to guess their 'recommendations'.

Note that you can select 160MHz and still have clients connect at lower speeds (this is in the WiFi design). However, with many APs around, doing so will make your router a target of interference from almost every channel available too.

Also, consider relocating the router. Keep in mind that sometimes moving a few inches in 3D space help far beyond what you may expect. This is because the router is designed to operate and configure its radios by what it 'sees', not what the client device 'sees' in its immediate location.
Thank you ! Great advices !

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!