What's new

AX86U first time use questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Casterina

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have been using the TP-Link Archer VR900 V2 modem router for 2 years now (68/20Mb connection) and have treated myself to the AX86U as the VR900 is syncing at a lower speed and hasn’t had any firmware updates since 2016 so I will be setting up the router during the holidays and have some questions that I’m not sure about.
  1. I will be flashing the latest stable Merlin firmware (386.3_2) and was wondering are there any bugs in this firmware as I won’t be updating for a while unless there is security vulnerabilities.
  2. I have read that after flashing Merlin firmware, it's recommended to do a factory reset, what’s the best way to do it, by pressing the reset button or via the web UI?
  3. I currently have the wireless 2.4/5GHz channel and width set to Auto on the VR900, is it best to set it to a fixed channel and width on the AX86U for better performance?
  4. Is there any other settings I should disable that I won’t benefit from or need as the only Wifi 6 device I have is my laptop which has the AX200 wireless card but with my connection, I won’t be achieving anything fast that the card is rated to.
Thanks for your help and have a nice Christmas and New Year!

If you don't use any of advanced Merlin firmware features (like dual OpenVPN configurations or custom scripts), you micht be better-off with stock firmware and auto-update feature.

Just disable WPS, enable AiProtection, enable QoS (as your internet speed is quite low), download Wifi Analyzer ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer ) and set your router to best channel on 2.4GHz (20MHz wide) and 5GHz (no need to use 160MHz). Try to tune it when most people are at home and use their Wifi devices (Sunday evening?).

Also, AX86U is an overkill for your internet speeds, AC86U would do just fine.

Until you prove the stability of the router I would use it exactly as it comes out of the box.
In a couple of weeks, if you need the Merlin features then upgrade to the current Released (not Beta) firmware, following all the Hard reset requirements.

The AX86U is not overkill. Future proof YES! While the AC86U is a great router the AX86U with more advanced hardware is much better. I have both.
Asus firmware is great and getting better. Merlin firmware is also great if you need the features it offers. As of this I am on the 386.4 beta 2. Had a couple of issues that were caused by a faulty Ethernet cable.
Go for the AX86U or the AX86S.

If you don't use any of advanced Merlin firmware features (like dual OpenVPN configurations or custom scripts), you micht be better-off with stock firmware and auto-update feature.

Just disable WPS, enable AiProtection, enable QoS (as your internet speed is quite low), download Wifi Analyzer ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer ) and set your router to best channel on 2.4GHz (20MHz wide) and 5GHz (no need to use 160MHz). Try to tune it when most people are at home and use their Wifi devices (Sunday evening?).

The AX86U is not overkill. Future proof YES! While the AC86U is a great router the AX86U with more advanced hardware is much better. I have both.
Asus firmware is great and getting better. Merlin firmware is also great if you need the features it offers. As of this I am on the 386.4 beta 2. Had a couple of issues that were caused by a faulty Ethernet cable.
Go for the AX86U or the AX86S.
I won't be using VPN or custom scripts but prefer to use Merlin due to various bugfixes and improved stability/security and I will do some tests with Wifi Analyzer tomorrow during peak hours around 7-9PM as most of my neighbours family and relatives have came over for Christmas so that's when most people are on.

Also, I got the AX86U during Black Friday with work discount for similar price to the AC86U and read that the AC86U has 2.4GHz and overheating problems but hopefully next year, 150Mb will be available in my area.

I initially used the Merlin firmware but have gone to stock ASUS. With the Merlin 386.3_2 firmware I had a couple of older 2.4Ghz b/g devices that would disconnect / reconnect multiple times per day and mess with the software that controls them. With the stock ASUS firmware these devices worked perfectly. Now that Merlin is getting close with a much more recent ASUS base I'll be trying it again soon, but for now I'm on stock ASUS firmware.

download Wifi Analyzer ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer ) and set your router to best channel on 2.4GHz (20MHz wide) and 5GHz (no need to use 160MHz). Try to tune it when most people are at home and use their Wifi devices (Sunday evening?).
Is WiFi Radar not built-in anymore? never mind what a phone app sees as far as wifi, see what the router itself has to contend with as far as competing radios and let that be the main guideline for where to tune the router's radios to. I'd also see if OP can get adequate coverage using only the 5GHz band - there are only ~10 channels down in 2.4, and if you have anywhere close to 10 other nearby APs, you'll always be stepping on someone's toes, and they on yours. Excellent radio comms call for as close to ideal radio conditions as possible, and that means clear airspace. That hasn't existed in 2.4GHz for quite some time now.

Going with Merlin (Releases only, not alpha/beta versions) is a good idea, even without the addon scripts. Cake QoS will be great for your package speeds; I feel your pain on 50/10DSL, but somehow I get almost my full package speed on the Download, and higher than advertised on the upload side. Also, use IPv6 if you have a native implementation from your ISP, and if it is permitted by the ISP, bridge the modem and clone its MAC to your router (if you haven't already).

I initially used the Merlin firmware but have gone to stock ASUS. With the Merlin 386.3_2 firmware I had a couple of older 2.4Ghz b/g devices that would disconnect / reconnect multiple times per day and mess with the software that controls them. With the stock ASUS firmware these devices worked perfectly. Now that Merlin is getting close with a much more recent ASUS base I'll be trying it again soon, but for now I'm on stock ASUS firmware.
Since the wireless is closed source and Rmerlin cannot made any changes to this, there is no difference between Merlin and Stock.

Since the wireless is closed source and Rmerlin cannot made any changes to this, there is no difference between Merlin and Stock.
The current Merlin Beta's using the newer ASUS code base probably would work fine for my older devices but... The current Merlin non-beta release uses old ASUS stock code where the new ASUS stock code has apparently fixed this issue I had on the old b/g devices. So I believe there have been changes to the closed source wireless code from the time merlin created the current release Merlin code vs the current ASUS stock code.

Is WiFi Radar not built-in anymore? never mind what a phone app sees as far as wifi, see what the router itself has to contend with as far as competing radios and let that be the main guideline for where to tune the router's radios to. I'd also see if OP can get adequate coverage using only the 5GHz band - there are only ~10 channels down in 2.4, and if you have anywhere close to 10 other nearby APs, you'll always be stepping on someone's toes, and they on yours. Excellent radio comms call for as close to ideal radio conditions as possible, and that means clear airspace. That hasn't existed in 2.4GHz for quite some time now.

Going with Merlin (Releases only, not alpha/beta versions) is a good idea, even without the addon scripts. Cake QoS will be great for your package speeds; I feel your pain on 50/10DSL, but somehow I get almost my full package speed on the Download, and higher than advertised on the upload side. Also, use IPv6 if you have a native implementation from your ISP, and if it is permitted by the ISP, bridge the modem and clone its MAC to your router (if you haven't already).
Did a scan with Wifi Analyzer during peak hour 8PM and most 2.4GHz are floating/switching between channel 1, 6 and 11 and 5GHz looks quiet but all my neighbours are using ISP routers probably with default settings with auto channel and combined 2.4/5GHz bands, I only have 3 devices (old laptop, camera and alarm) that use the 2.4GHz channel and the rest will be on 5GHz, which 2.4/5GHz channel should I set to for better performance?

2.png

Did a scan with Wifi Analyzer

You have wasted your time. Run the router on 2.4GHz Auto channel for a week. The most often selected channel is the one with higher bandwidth available. This is what the router sees. What the phone sees is irrelevant. The channel may be different than 1-6-11 and most likely it will be.

which 2.4/5GHz channel should I set to for better performance?

For 2.4GHz - read above. For 5GHz - if you want stable Wi-Fi, don't use DFS channels and 160MHz wide channel.

@Tech9 - I can't tell whether you're saying "don't use" the 160Mhz channel for 5 Ghz, or use it. If it's don't use, why not?

You have wasted your time. Run the router on 2.4GHz Auto channel for a week. The most often selected channel is the one with higher bandwidth available. This is what the router sees. What the phone sees is irrelevant. The channel may be different than 1-6-11 and most likely it will be.

For 2.4GHz - read above. For 5GHz - if you want stable Wi-Fi, don't use DFS channels and 160MHz wide channel.
Does the router log/track which 2.4GHz channel is most selected when I have it on Auto or do I have to monitor it myself?

I'm not familiar with 5GHz channels but had a look online, if I set the channel to 36, 40 or 48, it will use 20/40/80MHz channel width or just 20MHz?

If it's don't use, why not?

Because it requires DFS channels. Every time radar is detected your 5GHz Wi-Fi will be disrupted. How many 160MHz capable devices do you have and what type? What do you need - reliable Wi-Fi or maximum speed to few devices, when conditions allow?

if I set the channel to 36, 40 or 48, it will use 20/40/80MHz channel width or just 20MHz?

Set channel 36 @80MHz. This is a safe bet and works well in most Wi-Fi environments. If you have issues, set it to 20/40/80MHz. Non-DFS 80MHz wide channels work on 36-40-44-48 and 149-153-157-161. You can experiment with different control channel in the same range.

Does the router log/track which 2.4GHz channel is most selected

Check your log history, change of channel is in logs. Don't be surprised if the most often used channel is different than 1-6-11. Modern routers deal with interference better and push more data on any channel with more available bandwidth. With only 3x 2.4GHz devices you may play polite to your neighbors and stay on 1-6-11, if everyone around is on 1-6-11. ;)

Last edited:
Did a scan with Wifi Analyzer during peak hour 8PM and most 2.4GHz are floating/switching between channel 1, 6 and 11 and 5GHz looks quiet but all my neighbours are using ISP routers probably with default settings with auto channel and combined 2.4/5GHz bands, I only have 3 devices (old laptop, camera and alarm) that use the 2.4GHz channel and the rest will be on 5GHz, which 2.4/5GHz channel should I set to for better performa
In the GUI of the router, Under Advanced Settings-Wireless you should find a tab labelled WiFi Radar with a number of options. click on Settings, then the Big Blue Button that says Start Data Collection, then you can do a site survey based on what your router sees of the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. This is where you start narrowing down which channels to use. From there, you go to Channel Statistics and see what the channel Capacities are - find a setting that is at 100% and copy that into the radio settings of the router config.
That's more for 5GHz, because 2.4 is best left Auto if you need it at all. (the sooner you can migrate your network to 5GHz, the more control you will have)

Set channel 36 @80MHz. This is a safe bet and works well in most Wi-Fi environments. If you have issues, set it to 20/40/80MHz. Non-DFS 80MHz wide channels work on 36-40-44-48 and 149-153-157-161. You can experiment with different control channel in the same range.
In the GUI of the router, Under Advanced Settings-Wireless you should find a tab labelled WiFi Radar with a number of options. click on Settings, then the Big Blue Button that says Start Data Collection, then you can do a site survey based on what your router sees of the 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. This is where you start narrowing down which channels to use. From there, you go to Channel Statistics and see what the channel Capacities are - find a setting that is at 100% and copy that into the radio settings of the router config.
That's more for 5GHz, because 2.4 is best left Auto if you need it at all. (the sooner you can migrate your network to 5GHz, the more control you will have)
Thanks, I have set 5GHz to channel 36 at 80MHz but another small issue is how do I access the modem web UI for line stats (192.168.2.1) from the browser? The router's IP is 192.168.1.1