What's new

AX86U loses internet connection periodically

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mizzer

New Around Here
I have newest Merlin firmware installed.

Happens maybe 5-8 times a day. Seems random. It comes back after 2-3 minutes.

What do you need to see to help me diagnose the problem?

I’ve had a similar problem on my AX86U where my Xbox intermittently will lose its connection. Having checked the sys log, it shows it repeatedly dropping and starting the lan connection. Usually the connection comes back within 20 seconds or so, but if playing any online games, you’ve already been booted at this point. Thankfully I’ve been too busy with work to be affected by this but I’m looking forward to the next Merlin update which will hopefully resolve this.

@RMerlin been a while since I’ve been on the forum, was this kind of issue ever picked up on the release thread and any solution found?

Try the Merlin 386.5 alpha 1 or go to the Asus firmware.

Try the Merlin 386.5 alpha 1 or go to the Asus firmware.

thanks, ill try the 386.5 alpha 1. I’d rather not do stock firmware

thanks, ill try the 386.5 alpha 1. I’d rather not do stock firmware
One other thing... if you are using DFS channels it is possible that your 5 GHz is being bounced off by RADAR. One recommendation is to use Dual Band SmartConnect with the 5 GHz set to Auto channel at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. You can check the use DFS box if you want but with the bandwidth set this way the router will drop back to 80 MHz on a non-DFS channel if it detects RADAR and will keep working.

One other thing... if you are using DFS channels it is possible that your 5 GHz is being bounced off by RADAR. One recommendation is to use Dual Band SmartConnect with the 5 GHz set to Auto channel at 20, 40, 80, 160 MHz. You can check the use DFS box if you want but with the bandwidth set this way the router will drop back to 80 MHz on a non-DFS channel if it detects RADAR and will keep working.
I hadn't noticed a problem with the wifi, just the xbox on the lan, because I would get disconnected for 15-30 seconds. Checked the logs and it was having some issue with the xbox on that port. Couldn't work out exactly what though. Just kept repeatedly dropping and starting the connection then it would be ok again. Intermittent issue as well.

I have used DFS channels in the past but I just use channel 64 on 80MHz these days, with a slight overlap of bandwidth with the neighbours 5GHz on channel 36.

I hadn't noticed a problem with the wifi, just the xbox on the lan, because I would get disconnected for 15-30 seconds. Checked the logs and it was having some issue with the xbox on that port. Couldn't work out exactly what though. Just kept repeatedly dropping and starting the connection then it would be ok again. Intermittent issue as well.

I have used DFS channels in the past but I just use channel 64 on 80MHz these days, with a slight overlap of bandwidth with the neighbours 5GHz on channel 36.

Don't know where you are, but around here (US), channel 64 is a DFS channel.

7DF45ED2-85B2-48B9-8761-ACECAA6F4935.png
DEB308B0-F4DA-4D2B-895E-D2766B6EDBBC.png

I’m still having periodic drop-outs.

I posted some of my settings. Are there others that are helpful?
Also, I’d post a system log but they have MAC addresses. I’m not sure it that’s safe to do. I also see many associate-disassociate messages in the logs.

Any help would be much appreciated.

My WAN would drop randomly about 2 months ago and nothing helped until I did a Hard Factory Reset and started from scratch again. What I have learned is that the more I tweak, the less stable it is (both official and Merlin firmware). But for your info, these are my WAN settings.
Internet Connection.png

If you are still using Merlin firmware please give 386.5 alpha 1 a try. It worled better for me when I tested it over the weekend. Or go to Asus factory firmware, leave the WIFI settings at default and see if that helps the disconnect issues.

If you are still using Merlin firmware please give 386.5 alpha 1 a try. It worled better for me when I tested it over the weekend. Or go to Asus factory firmware, leave the WIFI settings at default and see if that helps the disconnect issues.
I am using Merlin. I will try the alpha build. Thanks.

What I did was :
ssh -> nvram erase && reboot
flashed version Version 3.0.0.4.386.45898
and I did nvram erase && reboot again.
I tried different versions, but with this one I don't have the issues anymore.

Now I'm interested, who is having AiMesh? Cause I use AX86U as router with 2x AX55 as AiMesh Nodes (AP). Can it be cause of set to AUTO the channels make each other crazy or is it cause the new AX86U or AX86S came and this firmware of the S is not working correctly on the older U version?

I factory reset the router and flashed to the Version 3.0.0.4.386.45898 firmware.
Reduced DHCP query to "Normal"
Adaptive QoS is Off
Smart Connect is Off

Still having occasional internet drops.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!