What's new

AX86U on 386.7_2: Wireless falling back to 80MHz even if I set 160MHz?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

i0ntempest

Occasional Visitor
I just noticed that on the newest 386.7_2 firmware, if I set 160MHz on the 5GHz band, it will initially use 160MHz but later reduce to 80MHz (I'm seeing this using WiFi Explorer on macOS). I know 160MHz is 99% unnecessary, I just want to know if this is the intended behavior with this new firmware version? Was some sort of detection added in so it goes to 80 if it senses other APs that might interfere?

I just noticed that on the newest 386.7_2 firmware, if I set 160MHz on the 5GHz band, it will initially use 160MHz but later reduce to 80MHz (I'm seeing this using WiFi Explorer on macOS). I know 160MHz is 99% unnecessary, I just want to know if this is the intended behavior with this new firmware version? Was some sort of detection added in so it goes to 80 if it senses other APs that might interfere?
There have been reports of this happening on recent firmware. Both Asuswrt and Merlin. I have not had this issue with either firmware. Currently I am using the Asuswrt beta 388 firmware and with minor exceptions I am having good success. I use Dual Band SmartConnect with default settings mostly. I enable WPA2/WPA3-Personal, enable 160 MHz, enable DFS and turn off WPS. My WIFI starts with 80 MHz on the 5 GHz band and switches up to 160 MHz when a capable client (AC or AX) connects. When those clients disconnect the WIFI goes back to 80 MHz.

There have been reports of this happening on recent firmware. Both Asuswrt and Merlin. I have not had this issue with either firmware. Currently I am using the Asuswrt beta 388 firmware and with minor exceptions I am having good success. I use Dual Band SmartConnect with default settings mostly. I enable WPA2/WPA3-Personal, enable 160 MHz, enable DFS and turn off WPS. My WIFI starts with 80 MHz on the 5 GHz band and switches up to 160 MHz when a capable client (AC or AX) connects. When those clients disconnect the WIFI goes back to 80 MHz.
Looks like this is indeed by design then. Mine stays at 80 probably cuz I don't have devices that supports 160.

Looks like this is indeed by design then. Mine stays at 80 probably cuz I don't have devices that supports 160.
My RT-AX86U (386.5_2) only behaves like this if the bandwidth is set to 20/40/80/160. If I set it to 160 only it stays at that bandwidth (unless radar detection or auto channel causes a channel change).

My RT-AX86U (386.5_2) only behaves like this if the bandwidth is set to 20/40/80/160. If I set it to 160 only it stays at that bandwidth (unless radar detection or auto channel causes a channel change).
Exactly, I noticed this new behavior only after upgrading to 386.7, which is why I'm asking.

You can try @Adamm 's script to get you back 160MHz when the channel is available

You can try @Adamm 's script to get you back 160MHz when the channel is available
Thanks, I just tried it but it doesn't seem to work for AX86U. `channelhog.sh check` always says I'm on 40MHz (I'm on 80) and it claims to restart wireless while not seems to be really restarting it. GitHub page says it's for AX88U, so probably it can't get the right interface on AX86U.

Thanks, I just tried it but it doesn't seem to work for AX86U. `channelhog.sh check` always says I'm on 40MHz (I'm on 80) and it claims to restart wireless while not seems to be really restarting it. GitHub page says it's for AX88U, so probably it can't get the right interface on AX86U.
It would be a fairly pointless exercise running that script even if it did work as you don't have any 160 capable clients. You'd just be making your WiFi experience worse by having the script periodically restart the WiFi (and disconnecting all your clients) for no reason. You might as well select a bandwidth of 80 (or 20/40/80) and have stable WiFi.

It would be a fairly pointless exercise running that script even if it did work as you don't have any 160 capable clients. You'd just be making your WiFi experience worse by having the script periodically restart the WiFi (and disconnecting all your clients) for no reason. You might as well select a bandwidth of 80 (or 20/40/80) and have stable WiFi.
Yes I'm aware, I'm just trying it out and making sure this new behavior isn't a bug or something. Most of the time I do leave it on 80.

Yes I'm aware, I'm just trying it out and making sure this new behavior isn't a bug or something. Most of the time I do leave it on 80.
Bug or not you are welcome to try the Asuswrt beta for the AX86U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!