What's new

AX86U or Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jjulez

Regular Contributor
Was about to get the AX86U then my friend said there is a pro version , Anyone knows the difference ?
One of these will replace the RT-AC86U..My question is there a way to save my vpn configurations.
Otherwise i will have screen capture all of it

How much work is to configure a home router? I would transfer in SSH eventual DHCP reservations only and click all the rest in GUI. I'm pretty sure it will be less than 1-1.5h total time even with all VPN clients set and including all the reboots needed in the process. You need to do it once, not every day.

No, it doesn't have more RAM.
Website shows two models of AX86U (non-Pro) one with same and other with less.
ax86u.jpeg

ax86u pro.jpeg

The second currently available AX86-series model is AX86S. This one has dual-core CPU, 512MB RAM and no 2.5GbE port.

AX86U and AX86U Pro both have quad-core CPU, 1GB RAM and single 2.5GbE port. They have different CPU and radios.

My question is there a way to save my vpn configurations.
Otherwise i will have screen capture all of it
Were I do migrate from one to the other I would do a side by side. My iPad would access the configuration panels of the AC via WiFi. I would plug the AX into an Ethernet port of my MacBook and access configuration panels. Just be sure to temporarily use a different name for the SSID of AX. Once AX is configured power off the AC, change the SSID of the AX to what it should be, save config, power off, and swap routers.

Faster processor!

We know this already. Not a big difference though and not worth the extra money as CPU upgrade alone. What may worth purchasing AX86U Pro is perhaps longer expected support. The hardware is newer and in-line with all Asus high-end models. Whoever already has AX86U - keep using it.

We know this already. Not a big difference though and not worth the extra money as CPU upgrade alone. What may worth purchasing AX86U Pro is perhaps longer expected support. The hardware is newer and in line with all Asus high-end models. Whoever already has AX86U - keep using it.
Agreed 0.2 GHz isn't a big deal. For some people it's about the numbers but for others it's the delta in price.

The GT-AX6000 has already superseded the RT-AX86U and the 'pro' version. Both latter models are not worth buying today unless heavily discounted vs. the GT model.

What makes the GT-AX6000 so good? The best balance of hardware available from Asus yet, for the price. In addition to ~20 faster throughput than the RT-AX86U. And of course, RMerlin support too.

If your network/ISP is unbalanced and you expect it to stay that way, the RT models are a good way to get excellent AX class performance.

If you expect your network/ISP connections to offer greater than 1GbE connections, within the timeframe you're using these routers, the GT-AX6000 is the only consideration today.

AX86U Pro CPU is faster not because Asus wants to make customers happier, but because they want to consolidate hardware and support. All current high-end Asus routers use the same hardware with different number of radios and ports available. I believe this is the reason behind AX11000 Pro release as well. I expect the older platform routers to be phased out once Pro models become widely available. Chip shortages reasons in play as well.

Strong opinions are wonderful...as long as they are weakly held.
while the GT-AX6k and AX86Pro are strong-looking machines, what is it the AVERAGE HOME user actually needs? (are you an average user, or do you ACTUALLY need the premium?)

I do not consider the GT-AX6000 as a successor to the RT-AX86U, as it`s in a totally different price bracket, and also it`s part of their ROG product line. The RT-AX86U_Pro is the actual successor to it, and should be priced close to what the RT-AX86U initially was launched at.

I do not consider the GT-AX6000 as a successor to the RT-AX86U, as it`s in a totally different price bracket, and also it`s part of their ROG product line. The RT-AX86U_Pro is the actual successor to it, and should be priced close to what the RT-AX86U initially was launched at.
At a marketing level, I agree.

However, for network performance, capacity and throughput, it is the only successor.

MSRP hasn't been any type of indicator for a very long time now. When on sale, it is at, or below, the RT-AX86U (and during COVID-19, that model was rarely on sale).

For anyone who has or will be offered greater than 1Gbps ISP speeds during ownership, with an internal network to match, even at full price it is still preferable over the 2+ year old model now.

Were I do migrate from one to the other I would do a side by side. My iPad would access the configuration panels of the AC via WiFi. I would plug the AX into an Ethernet port of my MacBook and access configuration panels. Just be sure to temporarily use a different name for the SSID of AX. Once AX is configured power off the AC, change the SSID of the AX to what it should be, save config, power off, and swap routers.
Thanks think i will flash merlin first then set it up

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!