What's new

AX86U PRO VLAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Any idea when the vlan feature available on stock firmware will be available on merlin?

It is also possible to get a basic version of VLAN function on current stock and RMerlin firmware, by using the AI Mesh feature on Guest Network 1.

I currently am doing just that. I have Guest Network 1 switched on for the 5Ghz channel, and the box checked for pushing the Guest Network to AI Mesh nodes, as well as disallowing interactions between guest network devices and regular lan devices. I don't have any AI Mesh nodes or AI Mesh, but if you switch that on, the router creates a 192.168.102.1/24 subnet (102 for 5Ghz, and 101 for 2.4Ghz, I believe), with VLAN tagging on each – 501 for the 101 subnet, and 502 for the 102 subnet (this is all from memory, so I might be slightly off with the numbers here, but you can easily find this on the forum to double-check or just check your router's log to see it all coming up with subnets and vlan tags)

So even if you don't have AI Mesh, but you do have access points capable of VLAN tagging devices connected to specific SSIDs, you can then propagate the VLANs out to your wifi network. This is what I am doing to provide guests in an outhouse at the end of the garden with an isolated WiFi network on the VLAN, with a 3rd party AP. I don't even use or display the SSID of the actual guest network running on the AX86U_Pro in the house, just use it to enable the VLAN tagging.

Last edited:
It is also possible to get a basic version of VLAN function on current stock and RMerlin firmware, by using the AI Mesh feature on Guest Network 1.

I currently am doing just that. I have Guest Network 1 switched on for the 5Ghz channel, and the box checked for pushing the Guest Network to AI Mesh nodes, as well as disallowing interactions between guest network devices and regular lan devices. I don't have any AI Mesh nodes or AI Mesh, but if you switch that on, the router creates a 192.168.102.1/24 subnet (102 for 5Ghz, and 101 for 2.4Ghz, I believe), with VLAN tagging on each – 501 for the 101 subnet, and 502 for the 102 subnet (this is all from memory, so I might be slightly off with the numbers here, but you can easily find this on the forum to double-check or just check your router's log to see it all coming up with subnets and vlan tags)

So even if you don't have AI Mesh, but you do have access points capable of VLAN tagging devices connected to specific SSIDs, you can then propagate the VLANs out to your wifi network. This is what I am doing to provide guests in an outhouse at the end of the garden with an isolated WiFi network on the VLAN, with a 3rd party AP. I don't even use or display the SSID of the actual guest network running on the AX86U_Pro in the house, just use it to enable the VLAN tagging.

I am ok with WIFI segmentation, issue is with wired devices....

I am ok with WIFI segmentation, issue is with wired devices....

By bringing up a Guest WiFi network on either of the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz Guest 1 slot, and ticking the box to push to AI Mesh nodes, the ASUS also creates VLAN interfaces on all the ethernet switches as well.

So if you have a switch / client device capable of VLAN tagging on the ethernet interface, then you should still be able to achieve what you want.

But might be worth searching on the forum for details in case I'm wrong.

You can write me down for VLAN functionality for the ethernet ports when the code is finally available

You can write me down for VLAN functionality for the ethernet ports when the code is finally available

In the meantime, if you don't mind spending $20 to $25 on a VLAN supported switch

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!