What's new

Ax86u PS5 switch

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cary5500

Occasional Visitor
Hey guys, I have a AX86U in the living room I ran an Ethernet cable to my gaming room via the gaming port on the router. I have the Ethernet cable plugged into an unmanaged switch (GS305). The switch has a ps5, Sonos ARC, Sonos sub, 4k blu ray player and lg c1 plugged into it.

I was told not to use gaming port with a switch in use. Is my setup or okay or can it be done better?

Gaming port? Some feel that is advertising hype. Should not make a difference anyway.

If the 'gaming port' is the 2.5GbE Port, then I don't think you're gaining anything by connecting it to a 1GbE switch.

I am using 2x QNAP QSW-1105-5T 5-Port Unmanaged 2.5GbE Switches for my LAN and wired backhaul that work great. A single switch may be theoretically better in your use. But there may not be any observable improvements with the client devices you have connected to it.

I don't recall reading about issues with using a switch with the 2.5GbE port (and in my case, it is 'just' 100' of Cat5e that gives full 2.5GbE throughput).

If you have a free 1GbE LAN port available, that is what I would use (for maximum stability). And plug in that 2.5GbE port to a device that can really use it (PC, NAS, or anything else that also has a 2.5GbE port too).

If the 'gaming port' is the 2.5GbE Port

Really?

ax86u_back.jpg

Lol... shows how much I care about the 'gaming' features. :p

Well... a month ago you did not recognize a picture of Zaku II edition, the only RT-AX86U version available in stores. Now you don't know what Asus calls Gaming Port on all RT-AX86U's. It's even printed on the back panel. Are you getting old? ;)

The dedicated gaming port on RT-AX86 Series automatically prioritizes any wired device connected to it. No complex configuration is needed, just connect your gaming PC or console to the special LAN port to give you a fast, stable connection that's always at the head of the queue.

That’s from the website but I’m unsure of how it works.

The dedicated gaming port on RT-AX86 Series automatically prioritizes any wired device connected to it. No complex configuration is needed, just connect your gaming PC or console to the special LAN port to give you a fast, stable connection that's always at the head of the queue.

That’s from the website but I’m unsure of how it works.
It's a port that can have a type of QoS applied to it. The issue with plugging a switch into it is that all the devices hanging of the switch will have the same QoS applied to them. That sort of defeats the purpose of a "gaming port" where it is assumed that a single gaming device will be plugged into it.

Getting old? No, already old (decades ago).

I read 'game' and stop reading - fluff marketing for teens with more money than knowledge.

Remember that I configure the routers offline and over WiFi (usually in my office). I am not paid to read retail boxes or barely there labels.

The network is tested and working when I leave the customers home. :)

It's a port that can have a type of QoS applied to it. The issue with plugging a switch into it is that all the devices hanging of the switch will have the same QoS applied to them. That sort of defeats the purpose of a "gaming port" where it is assumed that a single gaming device will be plugged into it.
I have no other way I know of to connect those devices to Ethernet without a switch. I can’t run 5 cables from the living room to the gaming room.

So I guess my options are.. remove the switch and plug the ps5 directly into gaming port and put other devices on Wi-Fi.

I think that would be worse as it’s my media center and I stream 4K movies. Maybe some QOS wouldn’t be a bad thing for those devices also!

last option plug the Ethernet cable into the port #2.

The issue with plugging a switch into it is that all the devices hanging of the switch will have the same QoS applied to them.

Agree - one thing in OP's scenario is everything on that unmanaged switch is connected to the TV (with the exception of the Sonos devices) - so probably won't hurt as either someone is on the PS5, or BlueRay, or App on the TV itself - kind of modal there, unless one can multitask and switch the HDMI ports rapidly

:D

Your setup is fine the way it is. Just leave QoS off.
I have the same kind of setup except two switches (TEG-S82g). Gaming computers and laptop in the office on one switch that connects to the other switch, that has Xbox, TV, Switch, receiver. All that goes into Lan 1, the gaming port.
I guess I could run the second switch all the way to the router but it is working just great the way it is.

Last edited: