What's new

AX86U reset all config when power lost

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

epkulse

New Around Here
Hi, just bought me a RT-AX86U and installed Merlin. Running AI-Mesh with a RT-AX92U. Installed Merlin-WRT 386.1_2. I configured the entire network with a few static IPs etc. Everything (almost, one wireless device refuse to connect) worked fine yesterday. Today, I moved the router and "only" switched power off. When restarting, all config was gone. Now I have to start all over again. I will for sure make a backup file with the config, BUT did I do something wrong when "just" switching power off? Should I save somewhere to avoid this happening again? If not, I am really worried if I have a spontaneous power outage and the router config would end up "wiped" again.

As I am new to ASUS, any help/tips are much appreciated.

Backups are good to have. A small UPS on the main router is also good to have. However, something is not right. Check that the /jffs is mounted and reflash the firmware. You mat want to go to stock Asus firmware to see if the issue persists.

jffs is mounted, as I understand...

1616242488227.png

So, I should reflash latest merlin-wrt? Backups first and then hope for the best...?

As @bbunge said, this should not have happened. When you say that you "only switched the power off" do you mean you used the on/off button on the router or turned the power off at the wall socket?

I can think of this scenario: You restore power to the router - but you are holding the router and your hand is pressing down on the WPS button on the side. This will perform a hard reset of the router.

I used the Power Switch on the back. Don´t believe I pushed the WPS button. At first after reboot I noted no wifi, in aftermath now I recall only WPS led was lit. As nothing seemed to work, I switched power off/on using power switch again. And the router rebooted with default config...

Hi, just bought me a RT-AX86U and installed Merlin. Running AI-Mesh with a RT-AX92U. Installed Merlin-WRT 386.1_2. I configured the entire network with a few static IPs etc. Everything (almost, one wireless device refuse to connect) worked fine yesterday. Today, I moved the router and "only" switched power off. When restarting, all config was gone. Now I have to start all over again. I will for sure make a backup file with the config, BUT did I do something wrong when "just" switching power off? Should I save somewhere to avoid this happening again? If not, I am really worried if I have a spontaneous power outage and the router config would end up "wiped" again.

As I am new to ASUS, any help/tips are much appreciated.

Not right. Start over. Be sure to reset the firmware before you configure it from scratch.

Suggested reading:
Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore
WPS Button Hard Reset

OE

That sounds very much like the behaviour of a WPS reset for that model. It's easy to hold down the WPS button without realising it.

Actually with the AX86U the WPS button is on the opposite side of the router from the power button. And you need to hold the WPS button while turning the power on.
Still feel the OP has other issues. Best to do a hard factory reset and reconfigure manually. Or go back to Asus factory firmware. I feel there are some good reasons for doing so.

Actually with the AX86U the WPS button is on the opposite side of the router from the power button. And you need to hold the WPS button while turning the power on.
Exactly, that's why it's easy to do. You have one hand holding the side of the router where the WPS button is while you use your other hand to operate the power button.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!