What's new

Asus AX/AXE Slow Upload Speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IAAI

Very Senior Member
I’m having a slow upload speed using the AX86U compared to my old AC3100

have 500/500

AC3100 used to get the full speed wired and wireless

AX86U is getting 500/300 on wireless only

(A while ago I saw a post about the same issue on the 88 and I went through it all and didn’t find any answer)

Any suggestions ?

Turned off/Disabled The following and nothing helped :

802.11ax / Wi-Fi 6 mode
Wi-Fi Agile Multiband
Target Wake Time
Protected Management Frames
Optimize AMPDU aggregation
Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
OFDMA/802.11ax MU-MIMO
802.11ax/ac Beamforming
Universal Beamforming

Testing Was done using Merlin's 386.1_2 and Asus 41994
Ended up with the same result on both.

Did a Hard and regular Resets . Was the only one connected to the router at the time of the tests and was setting right next to the router using IOS, Android and Windows
all of the clients were getting the full 500/500 speed using AC3100

Looking for a fix for this as well as I just updated to version 9.0.0.4.386_41994 and up/down speeds just plummeted from 500avg to 200 avg

Any updates ?

I think it's wifi/settings issue, but I could not manage to figure it out

* Running 386.3_alpha2

BTW No matter how deep you dive with asus support, their last resort in regards to this issue is to issue an RMA instead of escalating it to the firmware developers. I believe they know for sure that nothing is going to change with the refurbished one they are going to send you but at least thy get to close the support ticket.

I have had the same issue since day 1 with my AX86U. For me its both wired and wireless have slow upload. I went through Asus support but I had the same issue, fill out all of this stuff and then the answer is RMA. I did exchange my unit with Amazon and it had the same issue. Part of the issue might be my ISP as well but I am not sure.

With my old Apple Time Capsule everything was fine and for now I have an Edge Router X acting as my router and for my wired connections and my wired speeds are at least back to 500/500

I have had the same issue since day 1 with my AX86U. For me its both wired and wireless have slow upload. I went through Asus support but I had the same issue, fill out all of this stuff and then the answer is RMA. I did exchange my unit with Amazon and it had the same issue. Part of the issue might be my ISP as well but I am not sure.

With my old Apple Time Capsule everything was fine and for now I have an Edge Router X acting as my router and for my wired connections and my wired speeds are at least back to 500/500

I don't think its the ISP because the routers speed test and LAN both get the full speed all the time ,even my missed up 68u gets the full upload speed . (tested using 3.0.0.4_386_42840 and 386.3_alpha2-gfdb13d8f24)

Don't fall for one of their tech support games , blaming someone else for their problem.
I believe it could be a bug in the 5ghz wifi driver and will be fixed soon with AXE86 ;)

It might be a combination of different thing, like clients and wifi channel etc. On my iOS devices I get slower upload speed compared to download but on my Windows devices it's the other way round. My upload is 300-330 though so it's not bad but download is maybe 430 at best. I live in an apartment building with lots of other wifis though. AX86U running latest Merlin, 500/500 connection and wired is around 480/480.

Last edited:
I had the same thought at the beginning , but after testing I found out it's not the case with Intel AC 7265 , Intel AX 201 , IOS/Pad os/Mac os from 4 generations ago to current and Android devices from 2 generations ago to current . All of these devices are getting the full speed on AC68U and I would be lucky if i get half of my speed with AX86U

I have the same issue with my ax11000. I use iperf3 to test it,and only get 400 maximum upload speed. And the speedtest app, I only get 210 upload speed. It seems the firmware cap the upload speed for some reason.

I have the same issue with my ax11000. I use iperf3 to test it,and only get 400 maximum upload speed. And the speedtest app, I only get 210 upload speed. It seems the firmware cap the upload speed for some reason.
Exactly , looking closely I see every test is trying to get over 250 at the beginning of the test and then quickly goes back to 250 which is half of my upload speed. Upon checking other threads with the same complain I have noticed the pattern that we are mostly getting half of what we are supposed to get.

Just upgraded to a AX86U from a AC68U in an attempt to improve wifi performance in the bedroom for my wife's work macbook. Her situation improved dramatically, and download speeds increased across the board, but there were some noticeable drops in upload, particularly on my Galaxy S21 phone.

Measurements below were done on speedtest.net with fios gigabit internet. All tests were done in about a 30 minute span. Distances are from testing spot to the router. New router was put in the same spot as the old one.

AC68U DLAX86U DLChg DLAC68U ULAX86U ULChg UL
Couch - phone (same room ~7 ft)34839614%614199-68%
Bathroom - phone (door closed, ~10ft)31742133%435205-53%
Yard - phone (~40ft)5571040%4525%
PC - wired9109343%9049303%
Bedroom - phone (~25 ft)122324166%220123-44%
Bedroom - Zephyrus G14 laptop (~25 ft)141354151%260251-3%
Bedroom - macbook (~25 ft)68362432%73208185%

Fiddled with a bunch of router settings and nothing seems to change the max upload I'm now seeing from my phone.

Last edited:
There is a beta version of the firmware, which seems to fix the problem with the speed - 3.0.0.4.386.43555
Here is the link - https://disk.yandex.ru/d/1ku_RlLBMTA7lQ taken here - https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=1005251&view=findpost&p=107556105
Am a bit suspicious of this "Beta" firmware. Asus Beta versions usually begin with 9.0.0....
The Russian language forum referenced does not provide a source for the file and there is no MD5 code.
Would be safer to use if there was some more information.
As for the current Asus version, I have had none of the reported WIFI issues with factory WIFI settings. I have disabled WPS, though. Do use fixed channels.

Thank you for the firmware news , I would rather to wait for the official beta release.

in regards to WPS and fixed channel , that is the first thing I do configuring any router

New firmware.

Version 3.0.0.4.386.44130

2021/06/28 73.13 MBytes

ASUS RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.44130
1. Add Hinet MOD Mesh IPTV support.
2. Fix bandwidth limiter issue under AiMesh.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 49dab52541fb616adbe61b36fefc8b9e