Ax86u slow wireless file transfer speed

• ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

Colorado88

New Around Here
Hello guys,

• I have Asus Ax86u router and attached to it is a 4tb western digital usb 3.0 external hdd.

• On my other room i have a fast windows 10 desktop PC with AX58BT wifi 6 card.

• The wifi connection to all devices is strong and all devices have the latest drivers/firmware updates installed.

The problem:

When i move files from “my desktop pc” to “external hdd attached to the router” via my 5ghz wireless network i get about 30 to 40MB/s speed, when i transfer from “external hdd” to “desktop pc” i get around 20MB/s speed.

When i move files from folder to folder in my external hdd attached to the router the average speed is 15 to 20 MB/s.

My router ram usage is always 94% and when i do transfers it reaches 98%, the 4 cpu cores during a file transfer will look like this for example:

core1 56%

core2 4%

core3 68%

core4 57%

So my question is are the transfer speeds i am getting normal? And if not how can i fix it?
regards

Last edited:

Tech9

Very Senior Member
And if not how can i fix it?

Don't use the router as NAS. Use it as a router and get a NAS. Read here what happens when you push Asuswrt file share too much:

Colorado88

New Around Here
Don't use the router as NAS. Use it as a router and get a NAS. Read here what happens when you push Asuswrt file share too much:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

I used to use NAS many years ago then moved to cloud services, i have only returned back due to the comfort of having my small hdd attached directly to the router.

Currently 40MB/s and 20MB/s wirelessly are sufficient as a comfortable option but i just wanted to make sure that i am not doing anything wrong from my end.

Also moving files inside the external hdd wirelessly is now instant using FTP.

Thanks again for the help Tech9