What's new

Ax86u slow wireless file transfer speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Colorado88

New Around Here
Hello guys,

• I have Asus Ax86u router and attached to it is a 4tb western digital usb 3.0 external hdd.

• On my other room i have a fast windows 10 desktop PC with AX58BT wifi 6 card.

• The wifi connection to all devices is strong and all devices have the latest drivers/firmware updates installed.

The problem:

When i move files from “my desktop pc” to “external hdd attached to the router” via my 5ghz wireless network i get about 30 to 40MB/s speed, when i transfer from “external hdd” to “desktop pc” i get around 20MB/s speed.

When i move files from folder to folder in my external hdd attached to the router the average speed is 15 to 20 MB/s.

My router ram usage is always 94% and when i do transfers it reaches 98%, the 4 cpu cores during a file transfer will look like this for example:

core1 56%

core2 4%

core3 68%

core4 57%

So my question is are the transfer speeds i am getting normal? And if not how can i fix it?
regards

Last edited:
And if not how can i fix it?

Don't use the router as NAS. Use it as a router and get a NAS. Read here what happens when you push Asuswrt file share too much:

Don't use the router as NAS. Use it as a router and get a NAS. Read here what happens when you push Asuswrt file share too much:

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

I used to use NAS many years ago then moved to cloud services, i have only returned back due to the comfort of having my small hdd attached directly to the router.

Currently 40MB/s and 20MB/s wirelessly are sufficient as a comfortable option but i just wanted to make sure that i am not doing anything wrong from my end.

Also moving files inside the external hdd wirelessly is now instant using FTP.

Thanks again for the help Tech9

You should get around double that speed transferring either to or from a decent external USB drive.
But there is a catch. To reach those speeds you must disable the "UPnP Media Server":

Screenshot 2021-11-14 170555.jpg

I've been struggling with this for the past couple of days and have finally found the culprit of my slowdowns: the built-in UPnP Media Server.
After disabling it, my speeds were at maximum at all times, whereas before they slowly went down to 12-17MB/s during file transfers.
Now I can consistently sustain 100MB/s+ during both read and writes.

What's wrong with the built-in Media Server? Beats me. Likely some Merlin firmware update messed it up as it was working just fine about 6 months ago if I recall correctly.

Maybe you overreacted too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!