What's new

AX86u vs AX86s usage questions.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wafflestyx

Occasional Visitor
Looking to update my current ac routers (will be useing them as mesh nodes then) and really dont know if I should put down ~$70 more for the u model.
Im mostly concerned about the ram difference and dual core vs quad core.

I plan on using merlin and running VPN (Wireguard) on the router itself. I have about 25 devices (4 phones, 3 gaming PCs, handfull or IoT) probably more within the year (NVR)

Because RT-AX86S has just enough RAM to run what's available in stock Asuswrt.
I run Merlin plus a number of scripts on my AX86S and have no issues with memory. The router uses link aggregation on the WAN and I have no issues with getting full bandwidth from the WAN on my 1.2 Gig connection. Since VPN is a single core process having 2 vs 4 cores doesn't give you any advantage at least for VPN. I run two VPN clients, a VPN server and while download speeds through a VPN tunnel are variable I often top 200 Mbps.

The only routers supported by Merlin that seem to have memory issues with the latest version and scripts are AC68s which only have half the memory of the AX86.

I have been using the AX86S since January and I am satisfied with it.

I run Merlin plus a number of scripts on my AX86S and have no issues with memory. The router uses link aggregation on the WAN and I have no issues with getting full bandwidth from the WAN on my 1.2 Gig connection. Since VPN is a single core process having 2 vs 4 cores doesn't give you any advantage at least for VPN. I run two VPN clients, a VPN server and while download speeds through a VPN tunnel are variable I often top 200 Mbps.

The only routers supported by Merlin that seem to have memory issues with the latest version and scripts are AC68s which only have half the memory of the AX86.

I have been using the AX86S since January and I am satisfied with it.
If you could, would you opt for the 86u for more future proofing, would ram be an issue later on?
I probably won't upgrade again for a few years (4+)

Since VPN is a single core process having 2 vs 4 cores doesn't give you any advantage at least for VPN. I run two VPN clients

It will give you advantage even with your 2 VPN clients setup - one of your VPN clients shares Core 1 used for routing. If your setup is Client 2 and 4 (instead of Client 1 and 2) - both VPN clients share the same Core 2. RT-AX86U with 4 available cores can run routing + 3x separate VPN clients on own core.

The only routers supported by Merlin that seem to have memory issues with the latest version and scripts are AC68s

RT-AC68U actually has more RAM available after clean boot then RT-AX86S. It runs different firmware and needs less RAM. RT-AC68U has different issue - 64K NVRAM and runs out of free NVRAM with newer versions of Asuswrt-Merlin. It runs okay with current stock Asuswrt and normal configuration.

would ram be an issue later on?

If you want to run something like Unbound + AdGuard Home (available with Asuswrt-Merlin custom scripts) RT-AX86S will be on the edge, very slow (swapping) and even crashing. This model is okay only if you chose wisely what to run with Asuswrt-Merlin. RT-AX86U doesn't have this limitation*.

* - it will also run low on RAM if someone wants 1M entries blocklist in AdGuard Home. This is a home router with limited resources.

If you could, would you opt for the 86u for more future proofing, would ram be an issue later on?
I probably won't upgrade again for a few years (4+)
How many clients do you plan to connect at this time? 50, 100, more?
Are you going to upgrade Internet speed to more than 1GbE?
What features do you plan to use?

How many clients do you plan to connect at this time? 50, 100, more?
Are you going to upgrade Internet speed to more than 1GbE?
What features do you plan to use?
1. At one time? Right now I have 21 things connected, Ranging from PCs, Phones, Cameras, random IoT devices. Probably another 10 things not online right now. I do plan on getting more outdoor camers / NVR and wifi lights this summer.
2. Not anytime soon.
3. VPN on Router, probably QoS I never really looked at the merlin addons since it didnt want to overload the ac68u I have. Maybe an addblocker

Looking to update my current ac routers (will be useing them as mesh nodes then)

Your plans for mixed AiMesh with current AX router (388 firmware) and oldest AC routers (386 firmware) may not go as you expect. This "reusing old equipment" idea is the main AiMesh selling point and the reason RT-AC68U is still supported. There are better than AiMesh home "mesh" systems on the market. Make sure you don't repeat common mistakes around.

It will give you advantage even with your 2 VPN clients setup - one of your VPN clients shares Core 1 used for routing. If your setup is Client 2 and 4 (instead of Client 1 and 2) - both VPN clients share the same Core 2. RT-AX86U with 4 available cores can run routing + 3x separate VPN clients on own core.

RT-AC68U actually has more RAM available after clean boot then RT-AX86S. It runs different firmware and needs less RAM. RT-AC68U has different issue - 64K NVRAM and runs out of free NVRAM with newer versions of Asuswrt-Merlin. It runs okay with current stock Asuswrt and normal configuration.

If you want to run something like Unbound + AdGuard Home (available with Asuswrt-Merlin custom scripts) RT-AX86S will be on the edge, very slow (swapping) and even crashing. This model is okay only if you chose wisely what to run with Asuswrt-Merlin. RT-AX86U doesn't have this limitation*.

* - it will also run low on RAM if someone wants 1M entries blocklist in AdGuard Home. This is a home router with limited resources.
It depends on your use case and budget. I bought it from Amazon in December when they had it on sale for for $179 but they also included a $150 gift card. I bought it because I have never had confidence in my AC86 after having to RMA a number of the problematic ones from 2018. With LAG the AX86S allowed me to capture more of my bandwidth from Comcast without having to purchase a new modem. Otherwise the performance is very similar to my AC86. I don't currently have any AX capable devices so what devices I can't connect using Ethernet, connect as N or AC. I turned off any unneeded WiFi settings so the basically stupid IoT devices connecting would not hiccup and disconnect.

It has worked fine for me and after tweaking the settings rock steady with no crashes. I run a number of scripts but not AdGuard as to me it created more problems than it solved. I just run SkyNet with the default list plus completely blocking a dozen countries. Memory is adequate. The VPN speeds are fine for my use case as the devices connected are primarily IoT devices that connect on 2.4 band. If VPN speed is what someone wants then they need to use a VPN device on their network, which I do, and with this device which has an I7 processor I get speeds through my VPN tunnel in excess of 800 Mbps.

Would I prefer to have an AX86U or Pro to play with, sure but I doubt that either of those models would make any noticeable difference in my network's performance that I need or want. As for future proofing all I can see is the future is going to cost lots of money for faster modems, faster routers, faster switches new network and WiFi cards.

It depends on your use case and budget.

I agree it's a good value router. I even purchased one for a friend of mine for CAD180 or USD135. This is the router where you start from today if you want Asus. If you want more freedom experimenting though AX86U with 2x cores and 2x RAM is better. This is why I purchased one for me to play with.

Last edited:
It depends on your use case and budget. I bought it from Amazon in December when they had it on sale for for $179 but they also included a $150 gift card. I bought it because I have never had confidence in my AC86 after having to RMA a number of the problematic ones from 2018. With LAG the AX86S allowed me to capture more of my bandwidth from Comcast without having to purchase a new modem. Otherwise the performance is very similar to my AC86. I don't currently have any AX capable devices so what devices I can't connect using Ethernet, connect as N or AC. I turned off any unneeded WiFi settings so the basically stupid IoT devices connecting would not hiccup and disconnect.

It has worked fine for me and after tweaking the settings rock steady with no crashes. I run a number of scripts but not AdGuard as to me it created more problems than it solved. I just run SkyNet with the default list plus completely blocking a dozen countries. Memory is adequate. The VPN speeds are fine for my use case as the devices connected are primarily IoT devices that connect on 2.4 band. If VPN speed is what someone wants then they need to use a VPN device on their network, which I do, and with this device which has an I7 processor I get speeds through my VPN tunnel in excess of 800 Mbps.

Would I prefer to have an AX86U or Pro to play with, sure but I doubt that either of those models would make any noticeable difference in my network's performance that I need or want. As for future proofing all I can see is the future is going to cost lots of money for faster modems, faster routers, faster switches new network and WiFi cards.
Update; June 2023 -The AX86S has been a disappointment for me. Finally took it offline and put my AC86 back into service. The problem was that some of my older IoT devices would not stay connected or even connect anymore regardless of how I dumbed down the 2.4Ghz settings, used regular or guest networks, VPN or not. Ended up setting up AC68 as an AP for these devices and no problems. Also VPN clients would sometimes disconnect. Despite factory resets, reloading firmware, reentering all settings manually couldn't resolve the issues. Put AC86 back in service upgraded to 386.11 and got all my IoT devices connected no problem, VPN clients stable. When I get the money and time this summer will probably give the AX86 Pro a shot along with a new modem so I don't have to use LAG. I will keep the AX86S on the shelf if my AC86 fails before then. Hopefully the AX86 Pro will work better with my IoT devices.

Hopefully the AX86 Pro will work better with my IoT devices.

RT-AX86U Pro has exactly the same BCM6710 2.4GHz radio used in RT-AX86U/S models. It perhaps uses exactly the same Broadcom drivers and perhaps your IoT devices will have the same issues with it. If you want to experiment with the Pro model - make sure you can return it.

Thanks for the information

Given so few other users report similar problems I am wondering if perhaps the radio might be bad. I would try to RMA it to ASUS but given my experience with multiple AC86 exchanges it is hardly worth it to me. My net cost from Amazon for the unit was $29.00 and return shipping if ASUS won't pay the tab would be close to that.

I guess I still like ASUS devices so I would be willing to try an AX86 Pro and if it doesn't work better with my IoT devices return it.

I would be willing to try an AX86 Pro

You're only getting into "trouble". This router will have official 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware version soon. You have to make a decision - stay with Asuswrt-Merlin on older 3.0.0.4 base or move on and experiment with newer 3.0.0.6 with VLANs, but no custom scripts. How much free time do you have?

You're only getting into "trouble". This router will have official 3.0.0.6 Pro firmware version soon. You have to make a decision - stay with Asuswrt-Merlin on older 3.0.0.4 base or move on and experiment with newer 3.0.0.6 with VLANs, but no custom scripts. How much free time do you have?
I run VLANs on my switches so my more secure Ethernet connected devices are isolated already. No rush to buy another router as AC86 is still functioning and AX86S is OK as a spare just need to also take my N66 off the shelf and use it as an AP for IoT devices.