What's new

AX86U wifi is alive, but dropping internet momentarily?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thelateclacker

New Around Here
Has anybody else been having issues with their wifi losing internet connection? I'm not talking about losing the wifi signal completely (I still stay connected), but there's just no internet coming with that signal.

I've had the AX86U for a couple months so far, and it's been pretty great up until recently. I find that every couple days or so, I'll be connected on wifi on my devices (a couple laptops, mobile phone, TV), but there won't be any internet coming through. The wifi signal shows strong and stays connected, but for example on my phone it'll says "connected, no internet". It usually lasts for about a minute or so and it'll be fully up and running again. Wifi speed when up is anywhere between 200-500mbps depending on device. My internet maxes out at 600mbps. Overall, kind of inconvenient when one's in the middle of a zoom call. Only wifi appears to be affected, as my main PC is connected via wire and it continued to stay connected to the internet.

I was running on stock firmware (updated stock fw once since updating, 384.1 maybe?) up until about 2-3 weeks ago, when I updated with the Merlin 386.1 beta 4. Just 1-2 days ago, I updated that to Merlin 386.1 stable release 1. This wifi thing has been happening on both Merlin releases, although it should be said that beta 4 was running fine for a couple weeks, then I updated to stable release 1 and it's happened within a day since then. I haven't tried reverting back to the previous stock firmware to see if that has been an issue.

If anybody's got some experience with this and has a solution, I'd love to hear what's needed to fix it.

Has anybody else been having issues with their wifi losing internet connection? I'm not talking about losing the wifi signal completely (I still stay connected), but there's just no internet coming with that signal.

I've had the AX86U for a couple months so far, and it's been pretty great up until recently. I find that every couple days or so, I'll be connected on wifi on my devices (a couple laptops, mobile phone, TV), but there won't be any internet coming through. The wifi signal shows strong and stays connected, but for example on my phone it'll says "connected, no internet". It usually lasts for about a minute or so and it'll be fully up and running again. Wifi speed when up is anywhere between 200-500mbps depending on device. My internet maxes out at 600mbps. Overall, kind of inconvenient when one's in the middle of a zoom call. Only wifi appears to be affected, as my main PC is connected via wire and it continued to stay connected to the internet.

I was running on stock firmware (updated stock fw once since updating, 384.1 maybe?) up until about 2-3 weeks ago, when I updated with the Merlin 386.1 beta 4. Just 1-2 days ago, I updated that to Merlin 386.1 stable release 1. This wifi thing has been happening on both Merlin releases, although it should be said that beta 4 was running fine for a couple weeks, then I updated to stable release 1 and it's happened within a day since then. I haven't tried reverting back to the previous stock firmware to see if that has been an issue.

If anybody's got some experience with this and has a solution, I'd love to hear what's needed to fix it.
I thought somebody would have jumped in here already but hasn’t so I’ll toss out first thing that comes to mind. Sounds like you have auto channels turned on with possibly DFS too. Turn auto off and set channels manually. For example I use 11 on 2.4 and 157 on 5 (No DFS) Without more details, that’s all I’ve got...

I thought somebody would have jumped in here already but hasn’t so I’ll toss out first thing that comes to mind. Sounds like you have auto channels turned on with possibly DFS too. Turn auto off and set channels manually. For example I use 11 on 2.4 and 157 on 5 (No DFS) Without more details, that’s all I’ve got...
Hi there,
thanks a lot for the reply. I've actually got them set to specific unoccupied channels already, my 2.4 being on channel 3 and my 5 being on channel 156. What's the DFS option you mentioned?

@thelateclacker welcome to the forums.

Dirty upgrades since 384.1, maybe? :)

Time to do your network a favor.

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

I'm pretty sure the version I had before updating to Merlin was this one: Version 3.0.0.4.384.9318 (Release 10/23 from Asus direct), as I received my router on 12/22 and set it up on 12/24, and one of the first things I did was to update the firmware using the built in auto check. The 386 version didn't come out until 12/30 according to the Asus site, but I ended up updating to Merlin 386.1 beta4 directly and then on to 386.1 stable just recently.

I'll check out your posts to try resetting and fine tuning the control channels, thanks!