What's new

ax88 packet loss

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ugandy

Very Senior Member
Hi,

I recently upgraded to the ax88 router and have been having connectivity issues (laggy, jittery connections).

i checked, and see anywhere from 20% to 50% packet loss, when measured with ping 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 from multiple clients.

this happens if client is connected to router via wifi but it also happens when directly connected to any ethernet port on the router.

the thing that puzzles me, is that if I do ssh to the router and try to ping outside from there, i see no packet loss at all, ever.

this is happening with merlin firmware 384.14, 384.15 and 384.16 (same problem on all 3)
diversion and skynet installed

the amount of packet loss started a month ago, changes throughout the day, but it appears worse in the early mornings .

I'm thinking maybe my unit has a hardware problem?

any suggestions on where to look next?

thanks
hugo

Have you ever reset this router to factory defaults after flashing the firmware you wanted to use with it?

See the link in my signature below for the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides to get your router to a good/known state.

If you have done this and these are the continuing results, time to RMA this unit.

Hi! thanks. yes i did factory reset as I downgraded from 384.16 to .15 to .14 ...
i just don't understand why i'd get packed loss when connected to the router's ether net port, but get no packet loss from the router itself (ssh)

is the connection to the WAN 'more direct' from the router, as compared to a connection from a client?!

thanks
hugo

And after your factory reset after flashing to the firmware you want to use, did you restore a saved backup config file or did you do a minimal and manual configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP?

Without any customizations at all?

nope. set everything by hand with mostly defaults.
have diversion and skynet but problem remains if i disable them

Are you using the GUI to reset to factory defaults including checking the 'Initialize all settings...' checkbox too?

Don't leave/put in the USB drive after you do a full reset. Do the problems persist then?

yes. problem is there even before adding the usb/scripts (after the resets).

a reboot clears the problem for about 10 minutes

I may be wrong, but my hunch is that the router is not being fully reset.

Download the correct firmware for the router model that you want to use (I recommend RMerlin 384.16 Beta 2) and make sure to verify it with something similar to this.

I would do the following in this strict order and if the issues continue, return for refund/exchange.
  1. Power off the router by pulling the power plug from the router and the AC wall plug too.
  2. Power off the modem/ONT.
  3. Remove all USB devices attached to the router. Do not re-insert them for this test.
  4. Plug in the router's AC power plug to the wall outlet.
  5. Make sure the routers power switch is in the off position.
  6. Plug in the power plug to the router.
  7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
  8. When the router boots up, it should be in the Setup Wizard. If it isn't, repeat the steps above until it is.
  9. Use the following URL to bypass the setup wizard and go straight to the factory reset part of the GUI.
  10. http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp
  11. Check the 'Initialize all the settings...' box.
  12. Click on the 'Restore' button beside it.
  13. After the router reboots, use the same URL above to flash the firmware you have downloaded and verified at the beginning of this post.
  14. After the router reboots, use the same URL to repeat steps 11, 12 and 13 above.
  15. Plug in the modem/ONT and connect the Ethernet cable to the router's WAN port.
  16. After the router reboots use the Setup Wizard to connect to your ISP and secure your router.
    1. Use a new (never before used) SSID that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    2. Use all-new (never before used) passwords that are 16 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    3. Use a new (never before used) username that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    4. Do not change any other settings or enable any other features.
  17. Do not insert any USB devices.
  18. After the router has been running for 15 minutes or more, reboot it once more.
Does the issue persist now? Does it persist after an additional reboot after it has been running for at least an hour?

If the answers to the last questions are yes, return/exchange it.

If the issues have been solved, I would format the USB drive you used in the router on a PC before you put it back into the router port.

Proceed to customize your router slowly and only changing one thing at a time. Testing as you go.

Do not use any saved settings (for the router or for any of the scripts you were using previously either).

HTH.

thanks!
i'll give it a try

had to go back to my old friend the AC86 (also with merlin's latest beta)

what puzzles me is that there is no packet loss when clients ping router ip, no packet loss when router pings wan (ssh shell), but there is packet loss when clients directly ping wan (even wired clients). it's like some engine in the router is dropping them when going across.

cheers

Hi, you may have a routing problem, congestion or loop but I'd say 99% it is not a hardware problem, so trying the reset and initialize suggestion is a good idea. Maybe before that make sure no other external component or client machine/device is connected to the router and try again (to avoid possible loops or congestions).

Hi, you may have a routing problem, congestion or loop but I'd say 99% it is not a hardware problem, so trying the reset and initialize suggestion is a good idea. Maybe before that make sure no other external component or client machine/device is connected to the router and try again (to avoid possible loops or congestions).

hi! can you elaborate on what a loop issue is, in this context? thanks
hugo

hi! can you elaborate on what a loop issue is, in this context? thanks
hugo

By network loop I mean when you can reach a given destination through different paths in your network, causing potential packet duplication problems and specially for multicast traffic. This is what the spanning tree protocol will avoid. For instance, yo can potentially cause a loop by connecting to the router via wifi AND via cable at the same time, or connecting the router switch to itself , or by having a switch connected to the router and / or to another device that connnects to the router also... those are external loops, BUT potentially you could also have router loops INSIDE the router if for instance the routing table is corrupted or misconfigured.

By network loop I mean when you can reach a given destination through different paths in your network, causing potential packet duplication problems and specially for multicast traffic. This is what the spanning tree protocol will avoid. For instance, yo can potentially cause a loop by connecting to the router via wifi AND via cable at the same time, or connecting the router switch to itself , or by having a switch connected to the router and / or to another device that connnects to the router also... those are external loops, BUT potentially you could also have router loops INSIDE the router if for instance the routing table is corrupted or misconfigured.

thanks!

Is this a procedure I would follow when i receive my new RT-AX88U. I figure that i manually would setup all WiFi passwords and other setting prior to connection to modem. I would also update to Latest Merlin firmware or other recommended Merlin version. Also i see you have something about issues with long wifi passwords. Is this an issue with RT-AC68 and 88U models?

Which procedure? Post 9? I highly suggest it. :)

Also i see you have something about issues with long wifi passwords. Is this an issue with RT-AC68U and 88U models?

Very curious about this since I use very long passwords with my RT-AC68U and my daughter does the same on her RT-AC88U. post 9 step 16/2
Will follow your procedure that you have in post 9.

I'm getting the following;

"Webpage not available
The webpage at http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp could not be loaded because:

net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED"

When I click on;
"http://router.asus.com/Advanced_SettingBackup_Content.asp" ?

QUOTE="L&LD, post: 563326, member: 24423"]I may be wrong, but my hunch is that the router is not being fully reset.

Download the correct firmware for the router model that you want to use (I recommend RMerlin 384.16 Beta 2) and make sure to verify it with something similar to this.

I would do the following in this strict order and if the issues continue, return for refund/exchange.
  1. Power off the router by pulling the power plug from the router and the AC wall plug too.
  3. Remove all USB devices attached to the router. Do not re-insert them for this test.
  7. Hold down the WPS button and keep holding it until the router reboots/turns off while you turn the router on using the power button.
  8. When the router boots up, it should be in the Setup Wizard. If it isn't, repeat the steps above until it is.
  9. Use the following URL to bypass the setup wizard and go straight to the factory reset part of the GUI.
  13. After the router reboots, use the same URL above to flash the firmware you have downloaded and verified at the beginning of this post.
  14. After the router reboots, use the same URL to repeat steps 11, 12 and 13 above.
  15. Plug in the modem/ONT and connect the Ethernet cable to the router's WAN port.
  16. After the router reboots use the Setup Wizard to connect to your ISP and secure your router.
    1. Use a new (never before used) SSID that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    2. Use all-new (never before used) passwords that are 16 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
    3. Use a new (never before used) username that is 8 alphanumeric characters with no spaces, punctuation, smiley faces or other special characters.
  18. After the router has been running for 15 minutes or more, reboot it once more.
Does the issue persist now? Does it persist after an additional reboot after it has been running for at least an hour?

If the issues have been solved, I would format the USB drive you used in the router on a PC before you put it back into the router port.

Proceed to customize your router slowly and only changing one thing at a time. Testing as you go.

Do not use any saved settings (for the router or for any of the scripts you were using previously either).

HTH.[/QUOTE]
I may be wrong, but my hunch is that the router is not being fully reset.

HTH.

@COBOL-Coder what router do you have again? What firmware are you running?

Are you logged in to the router GUI when you try that link? If not, it should still ask for the login credentials and then immediately take you to the 'Restore/Save/Upload Settings' tab.

Have you disabled the ability to access the router from 'router.asus.com'? :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!