What's new

AX88 upgrade query

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Svalbaard

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I've just upgraded my Asus AX88 to 384.17_0 and am seeing an odd issue where my Windows 7 Workstation PC using a TP-Link wifi adapter, and a Windows 10 laptop using its own internal wifi adapter are now seemingly unable to even see my home wifi networks - but can still see a lot of other wifi networks in the neighbourhood if I do a site scan.

If I move the TP-Link adapter to my personal Windows 10 laptop it can still see and connect to my wifi without issue - so no problems with the adapter itself seemingly. It's just bizarre.

All of my IOS devices can still also connect to my wifi without issue after the upgrade.

Anyone have any sort of idea before I do a rollback to the previous Merlin version I had installed, which was 384_10.2.

Many thanks.

Hi, I've just upgraded my Asus AX88 to 384.17_0 and am seeing an odd issue where my Windows 7 Workstation PC using a TP-Link wifi adapter, and a Windows 10 laptop using its own internal wifi adapter are now seemingly unable to even see my home wifi networks - but can still see a lot of other wifi networks in the neighbourhood if I do a site scan.

If I move the TP-Link adapter to my personal Windows 10 laptop it can still see and connect to my wifi without issue - so no problems with the adapter itself seemingly. It's just bizarre.

All of my IOS devices can still also connect to my wifi without issue after the upgrade.

Anyone have any sort of idea before I do a rollback to the previous Merlin version I had installed, which was 384_10.2.

Many thanks.

Your new AX88U is misconfigured, start by flashing this .18 only for the AX models: https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AGY2taGX02nVmWA&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!1427&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0

Similar issue when I first got my AX88U - but no problems now on 384-13 through to .17 that I am currently on.

I'd suggest it is probably a driver issue - a number of network cards need a driver update to see AX capable networks or WPA3, I have found it needs a manual update, i.e. in Windows 10 go to "Device Manager", right click on the the WiFi adapter and choose update and see if you get an update - or for some Intel cards you may need to grab the latest drivers from Intel as Windows assumes it's own drivers are the latest/greatest.

As for the TP-Link on Win 7 - hmm, could again be a driver issue or something not supported in the network stack back on Win 7 - it is pretty old and unsupported now. Maybe try an update or grabbing the TP-Link drivers direct from TP-Link. You can still do an update to Win 10 using your Win 7 key (Google is your friend) if that is feasible too?

Try checking the channel to make sure its non-DFS. 36, 40 or 161 fixed channel (you don't say 2.4 or 5gHz, obviously these are the latter).

Thanks everyone the responses. Just for clarity, I've tried updating drivers for both WiFi adapters and they are according to the manufacturers on the latest versions. The issue occurs on both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels that I have active. Happy to accept that the AX may be misconfigured - but I can't see how, as even my Yamaha amp is still able to connect to the 2.4Ghz channel SSID without issue.

Nothing else has changed other than the router firmware upgrade. Wierd.

Will have a play with the channels to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Sure. 10 days old alpha 1 build will solve the issues. :eek:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/ax56u.61607/#post-584395

Funny, the AX58U isn't mentioned: OP has AX88U.

"For instance, the webui code isn't in sync with the driver code used by the RT-AX88U and RT-AX56U, so these two have a few Wireless settings that will NOT work properly (for instance, the OFDMA setting)."

The basics work. (.17 wasn't working(a "stable build"))

@Svalbaard

The OP has OMITTED many details, like going from .10.2 to .17 is a big jump with a lot of changes including AMTM being built in.

Was a factory reset done after the jump? What scripts if any are in play? Is it just basic vanilla setup? What model adapter? AC adapter? How about turn off AX feature? Did he wipe the jffs partition and start from scratch?(put a check in the box, scroll down and hit Apply, prior to reboot.)

The list can go on and on.

Don't criticize unless you are going to do something helpful, I didn't see you add a reply to the OP that helps.

@Svalbaard

Post screenshots of the 2.4G and 5G Wireless pages and the Professional tabs for both as well.

(as a side note: .17 has AMTM 3.1.6 built in // the .18 has AMTM 3.1.7 built in)

Windows 10 Laptop: What Version W10? (If on 1903 build, get off it, wifi issues.)
Windows 7 Workstation (have you tried forgetting wireless networks and start fresh?)

Last edited:
I got used to destructive "help" offered here quite often.
Fixing things with unfinished alpha builds was something new. ;)

So quit trolling and your problem is fixed.

The first step for me when I can't find some obvious reason is to go to defaults and see if things still don't work. Factory reset the router so everything is default settings and see if you still can't connect.