What's new

AX88U 3.0.0.4.384.7756 firmware update breaks Skype connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arct1c0n

Occasional Visitor
This is driving me in insane. My new wife is from Japan and we are still waiting for her visa to go through which is taking forever, so the only way to keep in touch and our relationship alive is we basically live and die by using Skype namely over my Note 8 and her Iphone 8 and sometimes her new Dell Latitude 7480 I got her for christmas.

However, ever since I went from 3.0.0.4.384.6436 2019/09/25 to the more recent 3.0.0.4.384.7756, our Skype connections only last around 2-3 minutes and then my skype totally locks and freezes on my Note 8. I have rebooted the router to no avail. I have not changed ANY WIFI settings since the older 6436 firmware that I got it new out of the box, I only run 5ghz wifi on static 151 channel. Only going back to T-Mobile cellular does Skype work without issues

The only change/variable is the the newer firmware. Before that,I had no such problems from the out of box firmware.

What the hell am I missing here?

Why don't you update to newer official firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.7968 ?
Download here

If you still have problems, roll back to Version 3.0.0.4.384.6436
Download here

If you are downgrading the firmware, it's best to perform a factory reset and set it up from scratch.

Why don't you update to newer official firmware Version 3.0.0.4.384.7968 ?
Download here

If you still have problems, roll back to Version 3.0.0.4.384.6436
Download here

If you are downgrading the firmware, it's best to perform a factory reset and set it up from scratch.

Tried newest firmware but still have same problem. Did update to 6436. Not gonna bother with reset as I have too much sheet I would have to redoe unless this also just flat out doesn't work

Last edited:
Well I dunno what the living hell the newer firmware versions screwed up but going back to 6436 and now my Skype sessions with my wife in Japan no longer freeze after a few minutes anymore. Guess I'll just live with older firmware and I really don't have the patience or desire to learn/deal with Merlin

You wont see many differences with Merlin, only some additional features you may let untouched - really its worth a try you wont regret.

Well I dunno what the living hell the newer firmware versions screwed up but going back to 6436 and now my Skype sessions with my wife in Japan no longer freeze after a few minutes anymore. Guess I'll just live with older firmware and I really don't have the patience or desire to learn/deal with Merlin
Yup. I updated to latest firmware, exported Let’s Encrypt Certificate to my PC. Reverted to 6436 firmware and uploaded the Let’s Encrypt key and cert file to it. Now I have perfect stability with SSL certificate for 3 months. Hopefully Asus releases something stable in the meantime.
I used WinSCP to ssh into my router and copied/overwrote the 2 certificate files in /etc folder and restarted httpd. Upload was not working from Asus GUI for some reason. But still grand success.

@Arct1c0n I hope you have more patience with your new wife! :D

As @Grisu states, you won't regret at least trying RMerlin firmware. And if you decide to, the guides in my signature may be of help too. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!