What's new

AX88U and new apple devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Scottio200

Occasional Visitor
Wonder if anyone has had similar to the below.

Been running an AX88U since May and have had no issues with my iPhone 11 Pro Max and the wife’s iPhone 11 when connecting to the 5gz AX network.

We both upgraded our phones in the past 2 weeks and first noticed that after the iPhone 12 had been asleep for a while (over 10 minutes) the device is showing as connected to the WiFi but there is no network throughput. If I go to the Router admin pages on my AX88U I see the device connected but there is no data up or down. My iPhone 12 Pro has been fine for the first week but today has started to experience the exact same issue.

On the devices if we turn WiFi off and back on they reconnect until they sleep, I have turned off the new MAC address masking feature on iOS 14 as I thought it could be linked to that, but had no issues with my 2018 iPad Pro that has the same feature turned on.

I have found that connecting to the 2.4ghz network seems to fix the issue, also enabling and connecting to a 5gz guest AX network seems to fix it. So it’s pointing to the main network on the router.

Before I reset the router and flash with the latest merlin firmware, is there anyone else having this, and are there any suggestions on what to try? I’m currently running merlin_17

Try one or both of the following.

Reset the network stack on the Apple devices.

Create a Guest network on the 5G band and use a new, never before used/seen SSID by your devices. Make sure to 'forget' your main networks when doing this test.

The SSID should be only alphanumeric, with no spaces, symbols, punctuation, or smiley faces, and 8 characters long. The password should also be similarly constricted, but I suggest 16 characters instead.

Try one or both of the following.

Reset the network stack on the Apple devices.

Create a Guest network on the 5G band and use a new, never before used/seen SSID by your devices. Make sure to 'forget' your main networks when doing this test.

The SSID should be only alphanumeric, with no spaces, symbols, punctuation, or smiley faces, and 8 characters long. The password should also be similarly constricted, but I suggest 16 characters instead.

I have reset the network settings on both devices already (forgot to mention it) and have even wiped one of the iPhones but still same thing.

the Guest network has been working fine, which is why I’m leaning towards there being an issue with the main network?

The Guest network only lives because of the main network. Try the steps suggested.

The Guest network only lives because of the main network. Try the steps suggested.

sorry I should have been more clear, the guest network is brand new and the devices are not experiencing the issue with it. Once I switch the devices back to the main network (after forgetting the network) the issue comes back

I'll try to be clearer too. :)

Use a never-before-used/seen SSID for the main network too, within the restraints posted previously.

Changing the ssid of the main network appears to have fixed this, thanks for the advice. No idea what the issue is here but glad it’s fixed.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!