What's new

AX88U and sytem log for wifi issues

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Katy

Occasional Visitor
Hello-I am having issues where almost every day, the my wifi5ghz drops signal to all connections to router for a quick second and then it goes back on. I tried Channing the channel from 161 to 156 and I currently have it at 44. Is there a way to find out why it got disconnected in the system log. I don't see any errors for wifi, but I am just wondering. Below is an error I got at the same time my internet went down. Thanks.

kernel: Klogd stated: BusyBox V1.25.1

Last edited:
kernel: Klogd stated: BusyBox V1.25.1
That message appears when the router first boots up. So that suggests that your router has crashed and rebooted itself, although it should take a couple of minutes to startup not just a second. We'd have to see the complete log file to know any more.

I have a complete log file, but is it ok to post here since it has Mac addresses.
Mac address on their own is not a problem, you only need to hide public ip the one given my ISP. So yes you can post mac address based logs, there is not much one can do with them alone.

Generally when you post router logs, remove following from it.
1. Username and password to login
2. Wifi name and password, especially password.
3. ISP assign address which is unique to you that time.

Last edited:
I have a complete log file, but is it ok to post here since it has Mac addresses.
MAC addresses are fine but you'd probably want to mask your router's WAN IP address if it's a public address, and anything like DDNS names or personal email addresses.

Ok. Attached is part of yesterday and today's log. I have a usb drive attached to router and I think that is what the SMB errors are but I am not sure. I change my wifi 5ghz to auto channel to see if this helps. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 98
The log file doesn't show hardly anything at all. In fact it seems to be missing a huge amount of information. The only thing it does show is one Apple device connecting at disconnecting three times.

If you're running any third party scripts that interfere with the router's syslog, like Scribe, I suggest you disable it while you're trying to debug this problem.

I don't. I will gather more info next time this happens. For the system log, what should I should I select in the "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than" fields?

Do you have any third party add-ons installed or a scheduled reboot set up? It seems more than coincidental that the syslog was restarted at exactly 3pm.

What firmware version are you using?

For the system log, what should I should I select in the "Default message log level" and "Log only messages more urgent than" fields?
Default message log level = notice
Log only messages more urgent than = debug

No third party add on that I know about. Thanks for the info about the system log. I had one final question. I have a VPN where the IP address appears given by the VPN appears in the log. Do I need to block that out. I am using 386.2_4 which I think is the latest version. I just had disconnect, but for some reason the log doesn't seem to show anything for the time of the disconnect (weird).

Are you talking about the VPN client (like NordVPN) or the VPN server? If it's the VPN client then you don't need to block those addresses.

Yes, VPN client. Here is the latest system log.

Attachments

• syslog-2.txt
    50.6 KB · Views: 112
What time did the last problem occur (I'm in a different time zone to you)? Did/do all your WiFi devices disconnect?

Did it effect all devices? The only device showing any disconnect activity in the log is an iPhone, so that's probably normal.

At the moment the 5GHz band is configured for automatic channel selection and 160MHz. It is currently using channels that are effected by weather radar. So I suggest that for the time being you change that to a fixed channel of 48 and a bandwidth of 80MHz.

I am still having my issues with apple devices disconnecting or devices the 5ghz signal. I am posting my wifi settings to see if maybe someone can recommend other changes I need to make. I changed the channel to 140. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.05.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.05.23 PM.png
    387.2 KB · Views: 107
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.04.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 3.04.41 PM.png
    86.6 KB · Views: 107
Asus doesn't play well with Apple devices with its default configuration I had the same issues with various Asus routers AC68U and AX87U. From the looks of these forums and a Google search, a lot of people have Apple issues, even with Asus' latest models. I changed the 5GHz Control Channel from Auto to a fixed channel, and use 80 MHz bandwidth. After that, never had any more issues with Apple devices (ios (iPhone *& iPad) and a MacBook Air, which all had these issues.

Shame, really. I blame Apple for this nonsense, since all of my Windows and Android devices work fine with the Control channel set to Auto

Ok. So I had the same issue again with wifi again today. I would also like to add that this also happens with my fire stick that is wired to router. It seems that the internet connection shuts down. I thought it was only wifi devices, but it is not. It only goes off for about 1 minute before coming back. The annoying part is that it happens while I am working and doing zoom calls. Any recommendation on what other routers would work with Apple products. 95% of my connection is for Apple products. Could it be that the hardware is faulty? Should I do a full reset of router?

I would also like to add that this also happens with my fire stick that is wired to router.
If it's effecting wired devices as well that's an entirely different type of problem. It could be an ISP issue completely unrelated to your router or clients, which could account for the lack of error messages in the log file.

You said before that you were using NordVPN on the router. Is that currently disabled because I've never seen any indication of it in your log files?